Great, great win

What a fun game. We got to see the new guys, which is always exciting, Antoine was in the building, the C's played one of their toughest games of the season, and the ball was in Antoine's hands for the final shot. Great stuff.

A few observations...

McCarty starting... It didn't shock me or really irritate me that much. Obie was trying to match up with Dirk and didn't feel Blount or Baker could do it. He's right, but neither can Walter. How many times did Walter sag off of Dirk and leave him open? Walter just isn't a smart basketball player. But when the Mavs kept Fortson in there for big minutes, and he kept killing the Celts on the boards, couldn't Obie have gone to Mihm a little more? Mihm's the team's best rebounding big man and he's certainly capable of defending Fortson. That's one of those in-game decisions that Obie often misses. Anyway, Walter did come up with some huge shots, so kudos to him.

Ricky Davis... The most encouraging thing last night was that he looked like a guy trying to fit in. He was hesitant about shooting, which is a good thing when you come in with his reputation. He seemed to really enjoy the atmosphere (who wouldn't, after spending two years in Cleveland?). Playing those kinds of games and winning those kinds of games can change a player. It's one thing to be playing for nothing in Cleveland. It's another to be battling for a playoff spot with the Celtics. Hopefully, Ricky senses that. I thought last night was encouraging. He hustled, worked hard and was involved even from the bench.

Chris Mihm... Obie's probably right that Dallas normally would be a bad matchup for Mihm, but with Fortson out there for big minutes, I think Mihm would have been fine. In his short stint, I thought he showed some aggressive rebounding. The one sequence when he bought the Celts two extra shots with offensive rebounds was nice. He'll be a nice addition.

Antoine... Didn't anyone else kind of expect this? Remember how he played virtually every time the Celts went against the Bulls? He always tried too hard. Same thing last night. His struggles and Jiri's strong play don't settle the trade argument, but I was happy to see it for Ainge's sake. Can you believe how much unjust criticism the guy is taking? Did he break up the Jordan Bulls like Krause? Has he dismantled the '27 Yankees? (sorry... best analogy I could come up with) If Ainge had made the Davis trade two weeks ago, when the team had lost four straight and before the five-game winning streak, how different would the perception be? Are those of us on this list the only Celtic followers with any sense of the big picture? I honestly don't get it.

Jiri... I just love this guy. Did you read Nelson's quotes in the Herald today, apparently given before the game, saying the Celtics were force-feeding him into the starting lineup and he didn't think Jiri really would be ready to start for two or three years? Wonder if he feels the same way now? Also from the Herald today... rumors going around the NBA are that the Mavs are quietly shopping Antoine. They're concerned about the effect his personality is having on Dirk. Hmmmm....

Vin... Grab a rebound! I hate to single Vin out, but he was brutalized on the boards last night and seemed intimidated by Fortson. Come on, Vin. Take a tough pill.

General thought... The best thing about last night was the way they won. This was a tough, gritty, hard-working win. It's good to know that attitude didn't leave town when EWill did.

Final question... What did Tommy say about Antoine last night? I only got the ESPN feed. Thanks.

Mark