Re:Fwd: [Celtics' Stuff ] Pierce and Davis friends

> From: "proaudiomusic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: December 15, 2003 9:42:41 PM EST
> To: Celticsstuffgroup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [Celtics' Stuff ] Pierce and Davis friends
>
> Tommy said he and Davis were friends and played in the summer games
> together and pulled for this trade.
>
> This speaks volumes.
>
> Dave
> *************
The above, came up on the Yahoo board.  It seems that Paul has his
hands in on the trade, as he may have had in acquiring LaFrentz.
<<<<<

Well, I can certainly see that everyone hangs on every word I write, since I
posted this information the last time Ricky Davis' name came up. <jk-sort of>

The two played on the same summer league team the summer before last.  They
complimented each other on the floor very well, from what I hear. Surprisingly
enough, Ricky often led the team in scoring and Paul usually lead in assists.
Paul came away very impressed with him. He even brought up Ricky's name to
the Celtics that summer.  But that was over a year ago.  I don't think he was
pushing for this trade, like has been suggested, and I know he wasn't pushing
for the Walker trade.  That's just hogwash.
However, he was asked his opinion on Raef as a player and I know he had
already given his opinion on Davis.
I think Davis respects Paul and for that reason I think he will listen to his
advice and tone down the attitude.
Yes, it's a gamble, but I think it's worth it.
Also, Davis CAN play defense.  He had some really good defensive efforts last
season.
I'm not sure why he's been lax this year, but it could be all part of the
head butting that was going on between he and Silas.  Also, it isn't like anyone
else on the Cav's is going to make any all defense lists, which makes me
wonder why he was singled out.
I think it will be made clear to him that defense is the number one priority
on this team.
I'm not too concerned.

I still don't see Yiri as a starting point guard in this league.
I agree that he does an excellent job of instigating ball movement when he's
on the floor, but I'm racking my brain trying to think of one of these "jaw
dropping passes" that have been written about.
He makes the easy pass, which is why his assists are far from plentiful and
why his turnovers are low.  There's nothing wrong with that, per say, but those
guys aren't normally point guards.  In my opinion true point guards need to
be more creative and less cautious.  Especially on an up tempo team.
Mike James is starting to show some promise in this regard.  His assist
totals have been very good through the winning streak.  Plus his scoring would be
difficult to take out of the starting lineup.  James tendex player rating for
the last ten games is second on the team, by a wide margin.
Of course, since Jiri is a favorite of O'Brien's I wouldn't be floored if he
started.
O'Brien didn't look like a happy camper before the game tonight, and he
looked like he wanted to punch somebody after the game.  We may be witness to the
mother of all power struggles between the guys in suits, without a single
negative word spoken.  Wouldn't it be ironic if Ricky Davis ends up in the middle
of it all?

TAM