Chad Ford Details Celtics Success

It's the power of Juri. . .

Celtics no longer making Ainge green: Two weeks ago the Celtics also seemed to be on the verge of imploding, but a five-game winning streak now has them sitting a top the Atlantic Division. Given the news last week that Raef LaFrentz will be lost for the season, how are they doing it?
In short, Paul Pierce is finally getting some help on the offensive end.
The Celtics also seem to have settled on their point guard. Mike James, a Heat outcast, is averaging 17.7 ppg and six apg during the streak. Considering he averaged just 9.1 ppg and 4.3 apg on 37 percent shooting in November, that's a huge, huge improvement for the Celtics.
The other key has been the insertion of second-year forward Jiri Welsch into the lineup. Welsch is averaging 13.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.6 apg and 2.2 spg in 30 mpg during the streak. That's a major up-tick over the 3.6 ppg he put up for the Celtics in November.
The additional scoring from those two has given Pierce the freedom he needs to do his thing. The results have been amazing. Pierce is averaging 31.4 ppg, nine rpg and 5.2 apg on 49 percent shooting. Compare that to the 21.9 ppg on 39 percent shooting in November, and Pierce has really come alive.
Put all of that together, and the Celtics' offense has exploded. After topping 100 points in just two games before the five-game winning streak, the Celtics have scored more than 100 points in each of their last five. All of the winning is taking the heat off head coach Jim O'Brien and Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge.
"It's just fun to watch them play well," Ainge told the Boston Globe. "Mike James is playing fantastic, Jiri Welsch is playing great, Paul was unbelievable [Saturday] night [at Cleveland]. It's encouraging."
But despite the recent great play, Ainge claims he's still looking to upgrade his roster. "Of course, we're looking to improve, but part of improving is developing. I'm very happy and satisfied with how we're playing right now. But I feel we need to improve."