Re: What would J OB do?

In a message dated 12/14/03 6:50:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, Tammo29@xxxxxxx
writes:

> I'm not one to usually see the gIass half empty, and I hate to even bring
> this up after our latest five game winning streak, but I see a recurring
> problem
> in the last three games.
> Carlos Boozer and Darius Miles.
> Donyell Marshall.
> Ansu Sesay.
> All power forwards that like to play away from the basket.
> All four killed us for stretches, particularly when Baker was in the game.
> It's great to have a consistent inside presence on offense, such as Baker,
> down the stretch. But the game is played at both ends of the court.  I think
> O'Brien was smart
> to get Baker out of there in the fourth quarter last night.  Although they
> did
> put the onus on LeBron towards the end of the game.  How about Pierce
> shutting him down?  1-for-5 and the key steal in the last 6 minutes.
> Back to the power forward issue.  Eric did OK, but even he doesn't like to
> defend the perimeter, especially once he's been drawn inside.  I think we
> are
> going to have to find a better defensive option in the waning minutes of
> close
> games.  Do we have anyone on the bench that fits the bill?  Jones?  His
> defense
> hasn't impressed me.  Walter?  His defense this season has been atrocious
> (which is probably why he hasn't seen much court time, despite Tommy's
> constant
> harping).
> How about Hunter?  I really haven't seen enough of him to say.
> Looking at our upcoming schedule, we could be in serious trouble with
> Garnett, Walker, and Kirilenko the next three games.
> Kirilenko didn't hurt us the last game against the Jazz because he wasn't
> hitting his outside shot, Baker had the flu and Paul played him for some
> stretches. I'm not sure that happens again with Baker back in the lineup.
> Just something to chew on.

While all 4 did post big/impressive #s, I would argue that only Boozer is a
true PF and the other three names you cited (Miles, Sesay, and Marshall) are
long, quick, 6'9" SFs that only log minutes at the PF position. As you point
out, Walter would be the logical choice but has never gotten into any type of
rhythm and JJ still looks lost out there. I fear Hunter is not quick enough to
guard those types but who of us can say for sure since we've not had a chance
watch him strut his stuff? I would say that Kedrick despite giving up a
couple of inches in height might be a likely candidate.

CeltsSteve

``Time, practice, patience, attitude, unselfishness'' - Jim O'Brien