Why the Good Guys Do Better Against the West

First, it's been a while--first my computer crashed like a rock on Jupiter,
then I did likewise.  Both are getting better slowly.  Sorry about the lack
of game reviews and updates on the CBW.  I've also got over  2,000 posts to
catch up on.  Eep!

Anyway, I was able to watch the C's games, both winning and (sigh) losing;
and I realized something simple but profound.  The reason the C's do better
against the West is that they don't take Boston seriously.  Every team that
beat Boston this season did so for two reasons: first, by using the press
on defense and covering Paul Pierce like a security blanket over
Linus.  The second was emphasized by Toronto, which played like last years
Celtics, except they actually hit all those threes they shot. The C's have
deliberately used a defense that leaves them vulnerable to exactly the kind
of outside shot they used to use before this season.

All those teams that see the Celtics regularly knew if they smothered
Pierce and harassed whoever brought up the ball, they'd probably win the
game.  The WC teams saw the absence of Walker and pencilled in a W for all
Boston games.  They gambled on their running offense. like Sacramento or
Denver--only to see the running game wither before the C's defense.  They
bet on their outside shooting as their sole offensive weapon like
Seattle--only to have the shot fail for three straight quarters.

Seattle, in fact, proves my point--when they played man-to-man for three
quarters and relied on the outside jumpers, the C's destroyed them despite
suffering two scoring droughts of their own.  In the final quarter, they
put the screws to the C's fast break, and drove to the hoop, creating open
outside looks that started falling.  It helps that the Sonics really don't
have a significant offensive or defensive presence requiring a doubleteam.

Now, here come the Raptors once more, a truly aggravating team.  Boston
played well enough to beat them last time out, save only that the C's dared
them to hit the three.  Well, didn't we look silly as they cranked out 70+%
at the arc?  I think the C's are defending the back door cut better
now--well enough that it's worth a gamble or two to go out and challenge
Toronto at the arc.

Speaking of the three, I laugh at the truly hypocritical Hubie Brown.  For
the last few seasons he missed not a single chance to lambaste the C's for
launching threes while he perched on the TNT bench.  Now that he found a
team desperate enough to try anything, he's back at the helm, and his guys
are wearing out the paint at the arc line.

As far as that goes, it seems a number of teams are taking a page from the
C's playbook of the previous two years, making the three a major part of
their arsenal--just as the Celtics themselves are finally going to the
hoop.  Watch that petard boys, before someone hoists it!

Ok, that's enough commentary from me--I've got a lots and lots of e-mail to
read....apologies if there's things I really should have read and responded
to sooner, as soon as I actually read it, I'll reply, unless it's a dead
issue by then.  :>)

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle