Ainge on EEI

I had to get out of the car during the Ainge call in on EEI, but here is what I heard.

John Dennis went right after him. It was very tough questioning on his part. Callahan was largely quiet during it, letting Dennis go to town and a couple times asking Ainge to clarify points he made but that was it.

Ainge said:

1) He is even more enthused about the Walker deal today than he was at the time. He is not looking at the stats or boxscore like the fans/casual observers but looking at the potential of the team down the road and that makes him love this deal.

2) They knew LaFrenz had a sore knee but felt with treatment they could wait until the end of the season before he had surgery. It hasnt responded to treatment like they expected and he has really been quite gritty out there and its an indication of how good he is that he can play this well while dragging a leg around.

3) The Walker deal was not a kneejerk reaction. It was based on "thousands of hours of conversations" during Ainge's tenure, the Wallace era, and the Pitino days. It was the culmination of seven years of problems with Antoine and the way he plays the game. He would do it again with no hesitation but he wasnt trying to put a stamp on the team before the season started. He believes that he got the best deal possible for Walker and was amazed to get it. He says every NBA type he has talked to around the league has congratulated him on the deal and knows how lucky the Celtics were on this one.

4) Said he was confident in the deal because of his NBA knowledge, time as an analyst where he got to watch alot of games, and something else I cant remember. Said fans pay attention to the box score and if John Dennis knew what he knew that Dennis would be in favor of the trade. Dennis asked him about LaFrenz or Walker? Ainge replied both. He went on to say he has followed LaFrenz since college and saw him play in Denver and Dallas and was thrilled to get him. Started to say something about Walker but then said I cant get into that.

5) Said the Celtics with Walker were not as good as the Pistons (funny we knocked them out of the playoffs) or the Pacers (hmm) or the Nets. Definately werent as good as the power teams in the West. Still thinks this team is going to be better than the 44 wins of last year - though the injury to LaFrenz poses problems for that if he cant play more than 15 mins or needs to shut it down for the season. Surprised at how bad the Atlantic division is this year.

Thats about all I heard. I was struck by how Danny really seemed to believe that Antoine was the entire problem here. It seems to me that he listened to guys trying to save their jobs (wallace ob papile) who really told him what he wanted to hear. After all, Walker is gone and OB is up to the same old tricks. He also really seemed to think he was smarter than everyone else - came off as pretty arrogant in my view (which was a surprise to me) when he kept talking about how the fans dont really understand and that they base stuff on box scores and stats and its really all about potential (he sounds like the anti Billy Beane). After hearing what I heard, I am getting worried about the Ainge era in Boston and am willing to admit I might be wrong about his ability and long term success in Boston..