Re: [Celtics' Stuff ] I like Dumar's moves for the long haul

Sean,
Good post. You are correct. I shouldn't be using the Moneyball moniker
because it goes a lot deeper that what I have been describing. I need to come up
with a new phrase that applies when a GM trades a contributing or even starting
veteran like Cliff Robinson or Jamison to clear cap space and room for the
younger players to grow and keep finances under control. I don't feel youth
movement is the right phrase because that could describe the Bulls, who didn't all
these years have the correct distribution of veterans to rookies like the
Pistons or Warriors have. The Bulls had no intention of winning but wanted to build
through the draft.

What I am attempting to describe is putting a team on the field that has the
chance of winning but has the finances under control in case they don't. The
team has the right mix of veterans and young guys so if the young guys develop,
you become a contender. The Pistons, Twins and As fit this category.

The Cs can't fit this category with salaries pushing the luxury limit the
next couple of years even though Danny has added a stable of young, cheap
players. Blame that on Chris Wallace who definitely didn't buy into this philosophy.

The Texas Rangers didn't either and have suffered immensely. 100 million
dollars worth of contracts and in last place, taking forever to get out of salary
hell....

DJessen33