Re: Will Ainge and Bird Deal for Artest and Toine?

At 03:43 PM 8/29/03 -0400, Way/Howie wrote:
>Word reaches us today via Chad Ford that Ron Artest and Al Harrington are
>on the market and LB is interested in restructuring the Pacers roster.

Ah, yes...Chad Ford, that bastion of solid journalism.  Well, "bastion"
wasn't QUITE the word I had in mind, but I'm trying to be nice...

>In the past, Donnie Walsh and Bird have expressed an interest in Antoine
>Walker.  In fact, during the Pitino regime, there were discussions of a
>Croshere et al.for Toine trade.
>
>Could those talks be rekindled, with Artest, Harrington, and Bernder
>substituting for Croshere, with Walker and Kedrick Brown sent to the Pacers?
>
>Perhaps! Ainge, like Bird, wants to shake the roster up, as well as making
>the team more athletic, breaking the O'Brien-Walker strangelhold, and
>building for the future.  And this type of deal would seem to meet those
>objectives for Danny.

Great idea on the Pacers part to get rid of Ron "BS" Artest, but nobody in
their right mind wants this guy on their team, except maybe
Portland.  Artest and Harrington aren't going to be building blocks for
anyone's team.

Also not too good an idea for a team already unloved by the refs to take
Artest, one of the few players the refs dislike more than Walker.

I don't see how anyone could endorse such a trade.  Bird may like Walker,
but after what they've paid to get their current lineup, they're not likely
to make any major deals unless they unload Jermaine O'Neal.  And before
anyone asks, no, I wouldn't take Jermaine, either.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle