RE: Isiah Thomas fired

I give up. I come right out and say I'm not upset with the direction of the
team, yet the "way" I say it isn't right. There was nothing Ainge could have
done to turn this into a championship team. Nothing. I do think we're
spinning our wheels for a season, because I happen to believe nothing will
really change as long as Obie and Antoine are here. By contrast, Bird was
willing to take the heat that will come with the timing of the Isiah firing
because he didn't want to waste this season. Dumars was willing to fire a
guy with a better resume than Obie, because he felt he had a better option.
It took guts. If I had to guess, and it's an educated guess, I'd say Ainge's
first instinct was to fire Obie, but he didn't want to be the guy who fired
a coach coming off two straight playoff appearances. And it would have been
a tough sell. But I'll bet that deep down, Ainge would prefer to have his
own guy right now. And he tried all summer to trade Antoine. Ainge sees the
same problems many of us do. Unfortunately, he didn't/couldn't get them
corrected this summer. I wish he could have, simply because it would have
made the reshaping of this team happen a little faster. But that doesn't
mean he won't get them corrected. I believe he will, and that will be
another step toward building a championship team.

I'll say it again: I'm OPTIMISTIC about the future of the team. I'm just not
sold on THIS YEAR. I expect a lot of the same things we saw last year, and
that adds up to a slightly better than .500 team. Someone said the Celtics
were only eight games behind the Pistons. True. And how many games out of
the lottery? It works both ways. The Celtics are trying to get better. So
are other teams. We'll see how it plays out. But if another season goes by
with Antoine and Pierce dominating the ball, shooting under 40 percent,
playing 40-plus minutes a night, Banks ends up taking 400 jump shots while
losing time to Tony Delk and Mike James, while Kedrick, Jumaine, Hunter and
Perkins fail to progress, I think we'll all concede that some significant
changes need to be made. My ONLY complaint, is that I think Ainge already
knows that. It's a shame to waste a season watching it again.

Mark