RE: Isiah Thomas fired

I'm really not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic. I love the draft
picks. I think Banks will help some this year and eventually will be a great
one. But the track record for rookie point guards is shaky. It's a tough
position, and we need to have patience. Perkins won't play this year. Hunter
probably won't play this year. Jumaine Jones adds depth, but he is what he
is. As for Antoine, the proof is in the pudding. We've heard different
versions of the same song so many times I've tuned it out. If he proves me
wrong and is a changed player (and conditioning alone won't change him),
then great. We'll see. And Baker... I'm expecting nothing.

I probably overrate Orlando just slightly, but that's a team that was
basically even with the Celts last season, and was appreciably better down
the stretch with Gooden and Giricek. Now they have those two for a full
season, plus they add Juwan Howard. Howard was an overpaid player for years,
but he's still a productive low-post scorer and reliable veteran. He's a
bargain for what Orlando paid. I just think they will be better this season.
Next season, the year after, as Banks and Perkins become parts of the
rotation, maybe not.

Detroit, meanwhile, was significantly better last season, added the No. 2
pick in the draft who happens to be a big, physical, skilled, left-handed
seven-footer, and figures to get much more out of Tayshaun Prince, who was
stashed until the playoffs last season. I don't see how you can't say
they're still significantly better than the Celts.

Mourning has been cleared to play. If he gives them 20 minutes a game, he's
a huge addition. If he doesn't, the Nets remain the same team that was light
years better than the Celts last season.

Again, I love the draft picks. I think they'll make a significant difference
in a few years. But the teams that improve from one season to the next in
the NBA do it through free agency, trades and internal improvement (think
the Celtics of two seasons ago). They don't do it through the draft-unless
you're talking the truly elite players. You improve through the draft over
time, and the Celtics should see that improvement next season and the season
after.

But the Celtics didn't do anything significant in terms of trades or free
agency. They didn't change coaches. I just don't see any reason to believe
the outcome is going to be drastically different. I hope I'm wrong. I really
am optimistic about the future, but I think we're going to have to be
patient. I think this is the season that seals the fates of Obie and
Antoine, and then we'll see the moves that will define the team over the
next 5-10 years.

Mark