boston media

here's another no-news feature, this one
from my hoopsworld column:

Every August, as Celtics fans drown in boredom, the same nameless anger comes
over me.  Here I am, thinking about the Celtics every day.  Writing about the
Celtics on various message boards.  Reading Marcus Banks'  junior college
assist-to-turnover ratios.  Calculating our Basketball Related Income.  And
all without pay.

And you're telling me the Boston media can't come up with anything to write a
story about?

Their lack of effort is really shameful.  I'm sorry.   Do Celtics fans really
matter that little in the grand scheme of things?  Reporters are being paid.
Phone lines are up.  I hear even the airlines are in operation.  So how is it
that the Globe and Herald (to say nothing of Boston's lesser media) can't find
a single thing to write about for weeks at a time?  What a disgrace!
Apparently, if the Celtics organization doesn't spoon feed them a story, they
can't be bothered to create one.  And yet, there are at least a dozen story
ideas which even the most unimaginative editor should be assigning:

  a.. Marcus Banks is said to be practicing with Paul Pierce and Antoine
Walker.  What are these games like?  Are the three bonding?  Is Banks getting
them layups?  What is the chemistry like?

  a.. Vin Baker is said to have lost thirty pounds.  Is this true?  Is he at
least making an effort to rebuild his body?  I can live without the usual
sob-sister human interest stuff about his hopes and dreams.   But how is his
rehab coming along?  And isn't it worth fifteen minutes of Shira Springer's
time to find out?

  a.. Likewise, Antoine Walker has been rumored to be in the best shape of his
life.  Could someone please take a picture of him?  Maybe ask him if he plans
on playing any three?  Or see if Kenyon Martin's domination has finally
inspired him to give up his Boston Market habit.

  a.. The biggest question of all may not even reside with a player, but with
Jim O'Brien.  Supposedly, he has gotten the message about the need to push the
tempo.  Does he really plan to try?  What if it means sitting his pets, like
Eric Williams?  Or limiting Antoine Walker's minutes (and touches)?  And would
it kill some reporter to actually look into O'Brien's (and Lester Conner's)
track record in running uptempo offense?  So often, interviews with the
coaching staff are nothing more than press releases, because the writer is so
uncritical a receptacle for any double-talk the coach feels like spouting
(often with a withering glare.)  Celtics fans should be especially grateful
for the few critical voices, like the Herald's Steve Bulpett or the Patriot
Ledger's Mike Fine, who are willing to press them for valid answers.

  a.. Likewise, how about an in-depth look at the way Danny Ainge is running
the ship these days?  Surely the front office hasn't taken the same month-long
vacation that the newspapers have.   Who has been hired to replace strength
coach Shaun Brown?  Who is doing skill work with the rookies?  When are we
going to learn why Ainge blew off Travis Best for hesitating for three days
before signing the worst contract he possibly could?  I'm still scratching my
head about that one.  These questions never get answered, because no one
bothers to ask them.

The Celtics don't break training camp until October; but that doesn't mean
that there's nothing going on.  In fact, if recent history has taught us
anything, it's that what happens now will go a long way in determining how the
Celtics play next year.  One thing is certain:  if the Celtics displayed the
same kind of work ethic and initiative as the Boston media, they would end up
in the lottery for sure.

Write the Globe and Herald today!