No FIBA-ing, here's the truth about US and Them....

After actually watching this month's version of the USA Men's team, I have
a few observations to make.

The US can't play defense for beans.  Why in the name of Linus and Lucy
didn't they call in Dick Harter?

Vince Carter's knees seem better.  At least, they're not as inflated as his
ego, after watching him show off and cost the US team an easy hoop.

One week to practice, one exhibition game--delayed three days due to a
blackout--one more practice the day before leaving for San Juan, and the
day after they arrive, off they go!  If the US team was in the first
bracket, they'd be toast.

Coach Larry Brown has, to my knowledge, been the only one in the NBA, USOC,
or ESPN to publicly admit there wasn't enough time to get the team together
right.  He's trying to get players to help each other out, especially on
defense, and it's not happening; partly because the players chosen are
picked for individual talent, not team play.

Jason Kidd keeps passing behind the back like a second-rate Cousy.  His
teammates are trying the same thing, only their passes are
third-rate.  They need to make basic passes that actually reach the
intended recipient.  Committing turnovers like the Denver Nuggets will
basically insure they get really embarrassed.

It took three quarters for anyone on the US team to take defensive
assignments seriously.  Good luck against Brazil, guys.

I want my team to win.  I really do.   But if they win after this
half-baked preparation, they'll never learn the needed lesson, which is,
get these people together at least two months in advance and MAKE THEM PLAY
TOGETHER.  The reality is they're very likely to lose, and lose badly,
before this is over.

NBA rules.  FIBA rules.  Someone has got to go.  Either the international
game needs to change to the NBA format or vice versa.  I don't care which
it is, but asking the US players to change the fundamental way the play
basketball every summer is like asking the Road Runner to obey the speed
limit.  Sooner or later, he gets run over by the coyote.

Speaking of FIBA rules, the US must think like Celtics players.  Assume
that the fouls will not be called in your favor and move on.  Also, the
international arc has a lot of guys who have no business shooting threes
hoisting them like they're channeling Antoine Walker.  Go to the hoop, and
let the REAL outside shooters keep the defense honest.

Someone mentioned Isaiah Thomas watched some of the workouts.  Doubtless
curious how real coaches work.

The whole "role players" thing on who actually gets to go to
Athens--presuming they make it out of Puerto Rico.  Next month, politely
ask Paul Pierce to set aside time next summer for a trip to Athens.  Not
next year, next winter, or next fall.  September, as soon as the Hall of
Fame Enshrinement is over, go visit him and be very nice when you
ask.  Then enquire if he'd still be willing to put in extra practice time
after the Finals.  Same for the rest of whatever team plays, be it in
Athens next summer, or in 2-4 years as we recover from our own national
idiocy.  Don't forget to thank Paul for not laughing when someone tries to
backpedal how this team, supposedly better than last summer's effort,
failed to qualify.

Repeat after me: "Vince Carter is too old, too hurt, and too selfish to
play on the national team."  Keep repeating this until it sinks in.

Can someone tell me how Nick Collison became this team's version of Chris
Mullin?

Allen Iverson will foul out of at least one game on offensive fouls,
assuming he doesn't get tossed by a ref who understands what he's saying.

Why don't they interfere with the basket more on the defensive end?  God
knows they've all done it often enough against the Celtics.

That's all for now.  Going back to eat more chocolate.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle