Sabonis/Miami/Putting the "Butt" in Rebuttal

I wrote:

<<Although the word during last year's playoffs was pretty clear that
Sabonis was done>>

Kestas wrote:

<<I'm not sure if by "done" you mean retired, or that he can't play
anymore.>>

I meant retired -- and certainly meant no disrespect to one of the
all-time great centers in world basketball history.  It's unfortunate that
Sabonis never played in the NBA in his prime (even more unfortunate that
he never played for the Celtics).  Even with no knees he displayed
extraordinary fundamental skills.  And you're right, Kestas -- that swan
song against Dallas was amazing to watch.

Meanwhile, at the other end of this list's intellectual spectrum:

<<Goonies, Goonies, Goonies
If Artis Gilmore was planning to retire August 16 and
knock $7 million off the Celtics salary cap, I'm all for trading
for him too.>>

That settles it, Ray.  Come clean -- you ARE Donald Sterling.  :-)

<<So an improved Celtics team and cap space.  Only Anti-Celtics fans
would be against that.  I think Mr. Gooen might be one of those secretive
Celtics haters.>>

Right.  Because _real_ Celtic fans (a) believe that Rasheed Wallace is
better than Antoine Walker, (b) think that shedding one $7 million
contract will provide "cap space", even though the current cap is at
$43.84 million and the Celtics are paying something on the order of $57-58
million in salaries, (c) have nothing but the utmost respect for Lamar
Odom and Pat Riley.

<<And to be fair, you have to say, Miami has had two
excellent drafts in a row>>

Actually, I don't have to say that at all.  Caron Butler put up decent
rookie numbers on a crappy team.  Dwyane Wade hasn't done anything yet --
unless, of course, you're (a) not counting 2003, (b) skipping over the
2001 Ken Johnson pick, and (c) treating the 2000 Eddie House/Ernest Brown
draft as an "excellent draft".  (Which, of course, it was.  After all,
Ernest Brown IS the ultimate "Seal of Approval" player.)

<<so Riley, despite devastating injuries and the uncertain Mourning
situation has righted himself as best as can be expected for the
uncertainties in play.>>

Can we consider that a prediction, Donald?  That Riley has "righted
himself"?  Can we take that to the bank just like last year's prediction
that about those scary Atlanta Hawks?

<<I. Frontcourt Size - Hawks bigger than the Celtics..
II. Shotblocking - Ratliff,  the type of shotblocking center that gives
Pierce, Walker, and Battie/Baker trouble.
III. Jason Terry - Having a terrific season, can't be guarded by the
woeful Celtics points.
IV. Big Dog on a mission.
V. C's defense has trouble with forwards that can score, and that you
have, in Robinson and Rahim.>>

My favorite part is "Big Dog on a mission."

Unafraid to use, and unashamed of, my funny-sounding real name,

Michael Gooen