To Wyc: Help wanted, at the point.

	Mr. Grousbeck;
	I'd first like to praise you for revealing yourself as a list member.
There is something satisfying to know, not only that you are listening
to the rants of the fans, but that you are up front enough to let us
know you are.  It could get tough here, if things go poorly for the
team. As it was, the criticism was knee deep, when it was reported that
Ainge was only allowed thirteen roster players, in spite of the higher
than predicted luxury tax threshold and the windfall from the Charlotte
franchise, enriching team coffers.
	I am a long time fan. I remember the days of "Fat Freddie" Scolarie,
"Bullet Bob" Branum and "Red" Auerbach, when he wasn't known as a
basketball genius. In fact his first major move, toward his first
championship, was the luck of another team taking Andy Phillip, in a
dispersal draft and being "stuck" with Bob Cousy.
	Anyway, I'm frightened to death about this upcoming season. I see a
major battle between the old, walk it up, isolation, offensive style,
of Walker/O'Brien and the new, fast paced, point guard oriented,
philosophy of Banks/Ainge. My anxiety arises over the probability that
Banks will not play 48 minutes a game and that we have no one to back
up at the point. We have all seen too much basketball to think that
Tony Delk or Mike James can run an offense.
	Travis Best is still unsigned. Kenny Anderson, Mark Jackson and
Jacques Vaughn are also pure point guards who could play 15 to 25
minutes a game and give us consistency of, not just style, but the
message that Walker will not be the focus of the offense and that we
will have a distributer on the floor, that will not defer to our high
turnover, poor shooting, captains, but will look for the open man and
encourage motion of players, off the ball, to get free for open looks.
	I am afraid, as I said, that if we don't get 48 minutes of point
guard, it will be the same old "stuff." How can a team play 24-30
minutes of point guard oriented ball and then 18-24 minutes of O'Bie
ball? It sends a rotten message. It won't work. Vested interests may
attempt to sabotage the point guard, to make the other option look more
successful.
	I like Jimmy O'Brien. I think he has done a great job, in spite of
poor personnel decisions, poor drafting and a limited offensive system.
The players like him and have worked very hard for him, particularly on
defense, where the team has performed admirably and earned their
playoff appearances.
	It is my opinion that you are leaving O'Brien out to dry and that
without another "pure" point guard, the offense will degenerate into a
"schizo" tractor pull and Danny will have to fire O'Brien, to
straighten out the mess, but too late; the damage will be done and the
team will be split into factions and all will suffer. The "three year
plan" may drift like sand on a dessert and not only will we lose our
big hearted captain; Walker, but our true superstar; Paul Pierce, may
not resign, when his contract comes up in two years.
	I know you don't operate in a vacuum, but Danny likes you, he will
listen.

	JB

Unchain My Heart!