From: owner-celtics@igtc.com [mailto:owner-celtics@igtc.com]On Behalf Of
Kim Malo
Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 8:01 AM
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Worst moves?

At 09:38 AM 4/12/2003 -0400, Tammo29@AOL.com wrote:
> >>My list of worst Celtic moves of recent time: l.  Trading Joe Johnson:
> have
>you seen how the soph is doing?  just what we need, just what we had.
>- gene >>kirkpatrick
>
>Is this sarcasim?
>We need another 38% shooter?  Another 6'8" guy who hates to rebound?
>His last 10 games he's averaged 31 minutes, 10 pts on 35% shooting, 26% 3pt
>shooting, 2.8 assists, 1 steal, 3 rebounds.
>Those stats are pretty much the same for the year except the shooting
>percentages.
>His tendex per 48...15.10  makes him the 8th man on the Suns, and would
make
>him the 9th man on the Celtics right now.
>His regular tnd of 8.6 is about the same as JR Bremer's.
>I realize there are people that think Johnson is something special,
although
>I don't see it, but to say that trade was the worst move in recent history?
>Not even close to the Baker fiasco, IMO.

Tammo, we're not often in agreement, but we are in this case. JJ's a nice
player with a nicely versatile smooth skillset, whose virtues won't always
come out in the stats. But the rebounding is emblematic of something that
was a concern here and has still been at times in Phoenix - his mental
makeup, which is much too passive. I liked him when he was here and wish
they hadn't given up on him so soon, but noted at the time that he also
might do much better away from the demands of our co-captains and their
egos. He's a very nice role player (largely because of the mental concerns
- the physical skills have better potential than that) who can give you
some sparkling games in between relative disappearances, but as you point
out, it's not even close to the Baker fiasco.