Re: thoughts on this list and the Celtics

> Good idea. But I like this list. It is a very
> diverse group with usually good discussion. And let's
> be honest about something: After Bill Bird and Joe H.
> left, Mark and Kestus became, so to speak, the Antione
> and Paul of the list. They are the ones that post the
> most and often best comments. They, in a few words,
> are our go-to-guys. But Mark and Kestus, though I
> disagree with their assessment of Antione and other
> things, nonetheless used to always present their ideas
> in logical, thoughtful and interesting manners. In
> this way, I was able to "see" their viewpoints without
> having to agree with them. In short, they were
> communicating effectively. But lately, Mark and
> Kestus, as well as the other posters prone to
> unproductive negativity, have simply begun using this
> list as a place of catharsis, which, while ultimately
> worth-while (as it helps the writer heal whatever
> percieved illness they possess) for the individual, is
> non-conducive to communication (and thus non-conducive
> to the "community" that is this list serve). And so,
> basically, all I was doing was calling them on it.
> They used to be pretty cool list contributors (and, in
> fact, the Paul and Antione), but lately they have lost
> that...and I was just letting them know. Is that to
> say I think they should never post their catharsis to
> the list? No, they are free and can do what they
> want. But, as one huma

While I'm honored that somebody gives a damn about my writing style on this list, I have to admit that the primary purpose of my posting to this list has always been exactly what you say it has lately become - catharsis. It's just that, as this season has turned bleaker and bleaker, it must have become more evident in my  posts. I'm sorry to keep disappointing listers (first Bill Bird, now you), but since I'm not paid to entertain you all, the present quality of my writing will have to suffice.

In return, I have to say that many posters' contributions to this list (including yours) are a helluva lot more interesting than what the PR firm of Springer, Cofman, Bulpett and May (as Mark calls them) produces as *professional* sporstwriters. Their stuff is usually deathly boring and dull, and is of any interest only because they're the official conduit of information regarding the Celtics. Partly it's because they can't afford to bite the hand that feeds them, which explains why their columns are so sanitized. They get bold only when the person is gone and they can safely thrash him. Remember the shift when Pitino resigned? There was a stampede on the bandwagon with members of the Boston sports media all desperately trying to be the first off the Pitino bandwagon.

But we can say what we think on this list, which leads to your complaint about our negativity and personal attacks (as funny as it sounds coming from a person who tells other listers that they "don't know sh*t" and various other "goodies"). I guess when the Larry (aka Bill) Bird of this list was ending every post with various incarnations of the phrase "Gaston must be destroyed", that wasn't negative and personal, but when Mark and I merely suggest that perhaps Wallace isn't the most intelligent GM ever, or that Toine isn't quite the basketball genius that Obie suggests, it's suddenly negative and personal?  Seems like a double standard, colored by whom you blame for the current mess. Anyway, I'm rapidly becoming bored by this topic, so I'll end it here.

Kestas

Oh, and one more thing:  you seem to think that calling someone the list's "Antoine" is a huge compliment, but all that conjures up in my mind is wasted ability and a ton of posts only a few of which land on target :>