Maxwell's number is going up

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 4/11/2003

efore last night's game, owners Wyc Grousbeck, Steve Pagliuca , and Bob
Epstein told former Celtics forward Cedric Maxwell his No. 31 will be retired
in a ceremony at the FleetCenter next fall. The news left the 1981 NBA Finals
MVP in shock, while others around New England were wondering what took so
long. Maxwell will become the 22d Celtic to be so honored and the first since
Robert Parish in 1998.

Was it too long in coming?

''That kind of stuff is really petty and that's not my decision to make,''
said Maxwell. ''It's more of a gift to people who wanted to see my jersey
retired because I've had hundreds of people ask me, `Why wasn't your number
retired?' I always say, `It's not my choice. It's not my decision.' My
standard answer was, `When is Elvis coming back?' So, apparently, he's coming
in the building today.''

Over eight seasons with Boston, Maxwell averaged 13.7 points and 6.6 rebounds
per game. He is still the Celtics' all-time leader in field goal percentage
(55.9 percent), and he was the team's season leader in free throws made (574
in 1978-79) until Paul Pierce broke the mark with his 575th freebie of the
season last night in the second quarter. He now has 581.

But Maxwell still holds the season field goal percentage record (60.9 percent
in 1979-80). He posted his best career numbers in 1978-79, when he led Boston
in most statistical categories, including minutes (2,969), free throws made,
rebounds (791), and points (1,518 for a 19.0 average).

''My career, my numbers, and everything I've done for this organization speaks
for itself,'' said Maxwell.

Finger news

It was a mix of good and bad news for Tony Battie last night. Despite having
his left pinkie and ring finger taped together, Battie said he was ready to go
against the Sixers after injuring his hand Wednesday night in Washington.
Battie got his hand caught between the backboard and Kwame Brown's hand.

''It's going to hurt,'' said Battie, who also suffered a mild left ankle
sprain in the third quarter last night. ''It's still swollen, still sore,
still red, still sore as hell, still can't make a fist, but I'm ready to
go.''

Heel news

Philadelphia coach Larry Brown talked about the University of North Carolina
head coaching vacancy. Brown, a 1963 graduate of UNC, has been mentioned as a
candidate for the job.

But Kansas coach Roy Williams appears a clear front-runner for the job. ''I
don't think they're talking to anybody [else],'' Brown said. ''I'd be pretty
accurate on that. They want him pretty badly, so what are you going to say.''

But if Brown got the call, ''It's tough for me. I hear my name, but I don't
know where I'd be on the list. They've passed me up one time. It's been a bad
two weeks for me [with the speculation]. But I have a job I'm comfortable with
and I've been treated unbelievably from a coaching standpoint.''

This story ran on page E11 of the Boston Globe on 4/11/2003.
) Copyright 2003 Globe Newspaper Company

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of B.gif]

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of 300x250_countdown_4-9.gif]