Walker's traditional PF skills: was RE: Trade Walker?

-----Original Message-----
From: Kestutis Kveraga [mailto:Kestutis.Kveraga@dartmouth.edu]

The bottom line is, he won't play the PF position the way we need him
to, but he won't give it up, either. As I've written before, he wants to
cherry-pick the tastiest parts of PG, SG, and PF positions, mostly the
former two. As others have pointed out, this skews the team badly
towards softness at the power positions and makes us last or near-last
in rebounding/shot blocking.

First, I'll disagree about Antoine "mostly" cherry picking the funnest
parts of the PG/SG position.  He's been "the" rebounder since the Radja
era, works hard on rotating defensively, has attempted shotblocks, and
sprints back in transition.  This year his rebounding numbers are down,
but he'll still tie w/ Paul.  At the end games, I always see him
outfight taller players(like Laetner/Kwame) for the important board, but
no one gives him credit for that dirty work.

My point is he does a reasonable job at his PF responsibilities (except
for the sickening FG%).  I'm pleased with his summer weightlifting for
legs and upper body.  He's finally caught up to Chris Webber in terms of
body weight, strength, and hands!  Yet he's kept his old speed/agility.
He and Webber were banging/blocking out last Friday, and Antoine wasn't
pushed around.

On the otherhand, I'll agree that Toine/Obie would have to go if Celtic
ownership wants to totally change the Celtic identity, and have a
traditional two interior force on the court at all times.

Dave Cowens as coach or scout, would then be a good fit.  The frontcourt
combo's during his watch at Charlotte/GoldenState have always been
massive by NBA standards (Campbell, PJ, Lynch, Mash, Dampier, Fortson,
Foyle, Murphy, Jamison).  Cowen's had a .465 win% overall, his teams
trademarks were swing the ball on offense for jumpers, dominate the
boards, and play tough D.  If he were coach, our FG% and rebounding
would become respectable, but totally switching to his style may not
translate to more wins than Obrien.

The live/die by the three and pack-it-in-zone has been "wildly"
successful, when you think about the 5 players/offensive talent Obrien
lost this year (Vin, Kenny, Pot, Strick, Rodgers) and the talent he's
gained (Bremer).  Admit it... a lot of us at the beginning of the season
thought,if Vin didn't come through, the C's could drop to last in the
east.  Obrien's a good coach.

I vote for compromise: keep Obrien, bring in Cowens as a scout or GM,
then use a pick on a mature, wide load like Sweetney, or Collison who
can shore up some weaknesses immediately.