Final Four with a Big 12 accent

I thought Mark and some others here would find this worth reading.

By Coach Kelvin Sampson, Oklahoma
Special to SportsLine.com   B B

So much focus and attention is placed on the Kansas transition game, but a
staple of Roy Williams' teams has always been defense. You don't have the
continued success that Kansas has had unless you can defend and Roy Williams
has always had good -- if not great -- defensive teams.

In my opinion, Kirk Hinrich is one of the best defensive players in America.
Everybody talks about his offensive explosiveness, but Hinrich can create a
lot of havoc on the defensive end of the floor.

Overall, Hinrich, Nick Collison, Jeff Graves, Keith Langford and Aaron Miles
play great team defense. It's an often over-used expression, but the Kansas
players really "know their roles" on the defensive end. I have always thought
that they haven't gotten the credit they deserve on the defensive end.

Hinrich, Langford and Miles are as good as any threesome in America, from
baseline to baseline. If you cannot get back in transition, they will kill
you.

In addition, Kansas is a tremendous rebounding team. Nick Collison and
Xavier's David West are the two best big men in college basketball. Some
players are good at a lot of things, but not great in any one area. But
Collison is great at everything.

Few players actually play to their ability, but that can't be said for
Collison. He has so much ability, but he isn't a great player on his talent
alone. Night-in, night-out Collison plays at the highest level. He defines
effort.

Collison and Hinrich are the stars, but Kansas has a number of great role
players who are capable of stepping up their game at any time.

Keith Langford brings a lot of energy and athleticism to the floor. He is
tough to handle when Kansas has its transition game going and he is very
disruptive defensively.

All you need to know about Aaron Miles is that he is the point guard on
consecutive Final Four teams. He doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he
is an excellent floor leader.

Wayne Simien was lost for the season, but Jeff Graves is giving Kansas
Simien-type production. With every game he has gotten better. He played a
major role in their win over Arizona.

Bryant Nash gives Roy Williams a lot of athleticism off the bench and always
seems to provide good minutes.

And Michael Lee is an emerging star. I have really been impressed with the
way Coach Williams has brought him a long. His development has been fun to
watch.