---

Battie eyes surgery: But will wait for offseason

Celtics Notebook/by Gus Martins
Wednesday, April 2, 2003

Celtics center Tony Battie admitted yesterday he is leaning toward exploratory
surgery after the Celtics season ends to determine the extent of damage to his
right knee.

      Somebody's Got
      To Say It
      The Herald's fearless news coverage consistently gives readers the story
behind the story.
      Get Home Delivery
      Access Columnists
      Subscribe to eEdition

But until then he plans to grin, bear the pain and play whenever his painful
knee allows.

``It'll pretty much be a gametime decision (tonight) depending on how it
feels,'' he said after a rigorous practice yesterday. ``Hopefully, the
practice and the pressure I put on it today won't revert it backwards. Right
now it's not too sore.''

Battie has missed the Celtics' last four games, a loss at Utah, a defeat at
home against Golden State and two weekend wins over the Cavaliers. Battie said
the knee really acts up when the team plays four games in four nights.

Battie's return, coupled with that of Tony Delk, who hasn't played in seven
straight games, could revitalize the Celtics. The Celtics could use Battie's
defensive presence and Delk's perimeter shooting as they head down the
stretch.

The Celtics are down to their final eight regular-season games and are still
fighting for playoff position. Tonight, they host the Heat, a team that's
beaten the Celtics in two meetings this season but can only play the spoiler
now, having abandoned hope of the playoffs long ago.

``Pat Riley's teams always come to play hard,'' Battie said. ``They play hard
for four quarters, bang, scrap and try to do what it takes to win. Those teams
are always the most dangerous teams because they have nothing to lose. We have
something to lose. They'll be out there at their leisure because nothing's at
stake.''

Point well taken

Coach Jim O'Brien said he's been pleasantly surprised by the emergence of
rookie JR Bremer, who is leading all NBA rookies with a .361 3-point field
goal percentage.

Bremer, who has connected on 90-of-249 treys, has become an important part of
the team and the experience he's getting in a playoff race has been priceless.

``He has been force fed, but then it's either age, mature or pretty much go
back to the bench,'' O'Brien said. ``I think he's done a pretty good job. I
think it's been invaluable for the team and the franchise to learn we have a
guy who can play the point guard.''

Team must beef up `D'

Antoine Walker knows what end of the floor the Celts have to focus on if they
hope to have success in the postseason.

``You can't always control what happens offensively,'' he said. ``But on
defense you can go out and work hard every night. I think (O'Brien) just wants
to see consistency.''

Physical play will help accomplish that mission.

cw-2``We need to stop teams from getting easy opportunities to the basket,''
he said. ``We are not a very big team but we need to stop teams from getting
to the basket.'' . . .cw0

The Heat could be without super rookie Caron Butler tonight. The UConn
product, who has a sore left knee, averaged 20.1 points per game during the
month of March and captured Rookie of the Month honors for the fourth straight
time this season.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]