Re: Why was Larry Bird out of the picture???

No, I think it was two reasons, one leading to the other. First, I think there would have been snowball fights in hell before Gaston sold to any group including Larry Bird. He's tried before. That leads to reason 2, which is that he is committed to getting an expansion deal in Charlotte as a result of Gaston's failure to behave like a reasoning creature, which takes him out of the running for being in on this deal.

It's not impossible that if the Charlotte deal falls through (unlikely in my opinion, unless something goes drastically wrong), he might join as one of the investors. But I think he wanted more of a control in ownership, and with the new guys obviously planning to buy up all the outstanding stock, that's unlikely in Boston.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle