Hall of Fame and Larry Bird

I was watching the Hall of Fame ceremony (live on ESPN Classic), and Larry's introduction of Magic Johnson was refreshingly funny--especially since with the tribute to Drazen Petrovic and the induction of the Harlem Globetrotters (if we REALLY need 29 teams, can't we change out one of the bad teams for the Globetrotters?)--it was a relief to hear the good spirited rivalry between Larry and Magic. Larry recounted how after one Celtics-Lakers game in LA, won by the (Good Guys), Larry watched Magic go to his car, obviously upset at having lost to Boston. Larry says he looked at him and thought, "Suffer, baby suffer." He went on to say that he knew Magic wouldn't go out to eat, or socialize, but sit at home being aggravated. "I KNOW, "Larry said, "I've been there TOO!"

Johnson looked like he got a bigger laugh out of it than anyone in the room. Then when it was his turn to speak, said of Larry, "You...you are what a basketball player should be."

It was a great ceremony. There was the brand new building for the Hall of Fame, and one of the oldest teams among the first to be inducted into it.

Thinking of that, it reminded me of yet another parallel between Larry and Magic. Larry, who played in the Boston Garden--a respected, but old, venue--was inducted into the old building. Magic, who played in a much newer arena, was inducted into the new building.

They're STILL competing... :>))

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle