sale of the century

wow. wow ... what a weird day. who woulda thunk it?

damn, i wish Gaston would have done this before Rogers
& Strickland walked. oh well ... like the rest of you,
I hope the new ownership group wants to win badly
enough that they will at least loosen the purse
strings to go after a decent PG. Rod Strickland for $1
mil?

we shouldn't expect the new owner to go hog-wild -
unless somehow this guy turns out to be Mark Cuban Jr.
- but he also prolly won't want the team to head south
in his first year. We've got a similar situation out
here in San Jose, where the Sharks changed hands
earlier this year. (Sold to a bunch of venture
capitalists, coincidentally.) team ownership has sent
the message to keep payroll steady - there's a
balancing act between not losing their shirts, and not
losing ground in the standings, which (and gaston
never got this) turns off the fans and lowers revenue.

Sure do wish Larry Joe could get in on this action - I
expect him to have a statement out any minute. maybe,
just maybe Red and Harter could prevail on him ... it
would be a marketing coup for the new owners, though
Wallace would almost surely have to go (no great loss
there) - or at least take a lesser role. I don't
expect Bird to come aboard, though.

One last thought - I hope Dan Duquette doesn't end up
playing any kind of role here. The guy who let Roger
Clemens and Mo Vaughn walk away in a fit of ego and
parsimony doesn't belong anywhere near our Celtics.
http://sbc.yahoo.com