Re: Kenny points to Nets

In a message dated 9/20/2002 4:28:52 AM Central Daylight Time,
james.metz@verizon.net writes:

> On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 12:14  PM, Tammo29@AOL.com wrote:
>
> > There is no question that Anderson was the best ball handler on the
> > team and
> > because of that the team ran much more smoothly when he was in. BUT
> > running
> > smoothly does not always mean winning and we did win without him
> > (5-1...the
> > one loss being Dallas).
> Tammo
>
> *******************
>
>     There you go again, clouding the issue with facts.
>
> JB
> *****************************

   Well, I certainly try.  I've always preferred fact to fiction when it
comes to my sports. ;^ )  -Tammo

> And that reporter (Bulpett I believe) was wrong.  Pierce led the team
> in +/-.
>   Anderson led the team in per minute +/-.  Saying Anderson led the team
> in
> +/- is like saying Battie led the team in rebounding.  His per minute
> rebounding was top 15 in the league, Antoine's was #66.  But Antoine was
> still our leading rebounder because the league doesn't deal in
> hypothetical.
>
> Tammo
> *************************
>
> Would you have those statistics? I'd love to see the whole teams
> numbers.    JB
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No, I don't.  My information comes from a very good article by Jackie
MacMullan that ran in the Globe at the end of the season.  -Tammo
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> JB, you and I always saw eye to eye on the importance of a good
> 'distributing' point guard.  In fact I think I brought up Sanchez, among
> others, as a possibility the year he entered the draft, and you've been
> running with him ever since.
> Tammo
> *********************
>     Could this also be true? My recollection, is reading about him, on
> some draft guru's page of point guard possibilities and doing a
> "Sherlock" search on several of them and finding and posting a long
> article, which included a phrase, to the effect; that when he dribbled,
> the ball seemed like an extension of his body and that he was truly "a
> point guard born," but I'm sure if I stick to that story, too
> vehemently, you will come up with the article and the one of yours with
> an  earlier date. LOL- JB
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 Well, I won't swear to it but I remember Sanchez being one of three or four
different point guards I wrote about that I liked better than the guy the
Celtics were said to be enamored with at the time, Keyon Dooling.
I remember posting their college stats and Sanchez's assists and assists to
turnover ratio were very impressive.  There was never any question in my mind
that Sanchez made his Temple team go, even though he was never a great
shooter himself.  Sort of in the Jason Kidd mode.
   Dooling always reminded me of Larry Hughes.  Athletic slasher/scorer's who
played the point in college because their teams wanted them to have the ball,
not because they were point guards.  Neither were good shooters.  Neither
looked to pass first.  Both built their games mainly on their athleticism.

Anyway,  that message board is no longer in existence so we will have to
leave this one a stalemate.- Tammo

    All in all, Tammo a very good post. I don't begrudge you your inside

> information, in fact, au contraire, it just adds to all of our insights
> here.
>     In closing, though, I'd like to add that Anderson's legs were shot,
> before he ever got to Boston.  He missed a lot of games, yes. He was
> not a "smiley face" personality, but he was the best point guard the
> C's have had in many years and he played his ass off last season.
>     I'll still wonder why Jimmy O'Brien, who gives all appearances of
> discounting pure point guard skills, had to play Kenny for so many
> minutes and still seems in denial, over needing those skills on this
> seasons team.
>

>         JB

  I'm not convinced that either O'Brien or Wallace know what they want, let
alone what they're doing.  Time will tell. -Tammo