RE: usa bball

A friend wrote:
> I ran into Cedric "the Poo-fessah" Maxwell at the
> gym a few weeks ago and
> asked him what he thought of the deal. He went on
> and on about his concerns.
> The biggest: if Baker's not getting his touches, how
> will he react? He's
> been publicly saying he wants to be an All-Star
> again, but if he's not
> getting enough shots to do so, will he make the
> commitment to rebounding and
> defense that they need? Also of concern, in his
> words, "Keeeeny played some
> tough D." All true BUT here's my question: What if
> they DIDN'T make the
> deal. They'd be bringing back:
>
> 1) Kenny, a guy before last season that you couldn't
> have dealt to a Mexican
> team. I'll guarantee he never plays as many games in
> a season, for the rest
> of his career, than he did last season.
>
> 2) A guy who's biggest C's claim to fame is wearing
> Mickey Mouse shirts on
> the bench all year (no more listening to Red for
> advice on picks, please)
>
> 3) the Ukraine Train, who we now know got his
> nickname cuz, like a train, he
> never gets off the ground. Oh, and he's rehabbing a
> knee, which would've
> meant our only pivot man would've been--gulp--Tony
> Battie. And since Tony
> himself is good for two DL stints a year, who's the
> postman then?
>
> So Baker's a risk. They DESPERATELY needed a guy who
> could play with his
> back to the basket. They also needed some scoring
> insurance. Neither Pierce
> nor Walker got hurt last year, but, at some point,
> it's gonna happen. Who
> did they have who had the scoring ability to even
> attempt to fill the void?

I agree on all these points, except Forte, who is a
real talent and a basketball player too.  He and
Johnson were the same type of player, and now they're
both gone.  Make that a double, bartender!

As for Baker, I'm sure he'll touch the ball on most
possessions.  I don't know if they'll keep feeding him
if he doesn't produce down there, but they are a very
mechanically coached team, and I am sure O'Brien will
have them dump it in against most centers.  And I
think Walker and Pierce will have more room to
operate, as well, if we have really effective shooters
on the strong side -- which Kenny wasn't, or Delk for
most of the year.  I guarantee that Shammond Williams
knocks down a lot of those.  This is the perfect role
for him, and he will get into the lane now and again
too.  Bremer and Delk will also make a lot of shots
like that.  I'm actually more worried about Delk
getting enough touches than Baker.  Baker will get his
touches, because of the Celtics' plodding half-court
offense will see that he gets them.  Delk needs to get
a bunch of shots to do his Hersey Hawkins routine.

What I really want to see from Baker is some decent
rebounding and shotblocking, particularly from the
four position.  Based on the one photo I've seen of
Antoine in the off-season, it looks to me like they
are planning to play him at three at times.  They've
basically ceded him the job of point forward; the lead
guards will basically just bring the ball up when he
doesn't feel like it, or under pressure.  I bet he
could do a better job against quick forwards than he
does against power players, particularly if he had
Baker and Battie to help him.  Put Pierce in at
shooting guard, and a rugged defender like Delk or
(potentially) Bremer, and that's a pretty tough unit.
 I would also love to see them develop a running unit
off the bench, but that's like asking for a
large-breasted girlfriend who's also rich.

Leprechaun pipe dreams....

Josh
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com