RE: [...] The Foreign Market: A Recipe For Celtics Disaster

From: "jlyell" <jlyell@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Some hard facts to argue with.
One person's facts are another media-wannabe's speculation and less-than-clever name-calling.

Has the Wolkowyski signing been confirmed? We have heard a few other names tossed around.
I thought it was a matter of preemptive sarcasm, but the Herald is reporting what's quoted below. Neither the Celtics site or NBA.com confirms, but it looks to be happening.

(Btw, this three-point litmus test is getting a bit ridiculous. I used to wish I was a foot taller so I could play for the Celtics -- who knew I'd have to wish for three-point range, as well? Isn't the C's equipment manager (forgot his name) a three-point threat? Perhaps he'll be signed if the team suffers an injury? I knew a guy in college who could hit the NBA three... .)

Celts land Argentine big man

by Steve Bulpett
Sunday, September 15, 2002

The Celtics played some long-distance fax games yesterday, resulting in the signing of Ruben Wolkowyski to a one-year contract. The 6-foot-11 Argentine power forward-center will receive a guaranteed $587,435, the minimum for a player with two years of NBA service.

Wolkowyski played two seasons ago for Seattle and signed with Dallas last year before playing for CSKA of Moscow. He came onto the Celtic radar screen during the recent World Championships, where Argentina finished as runner-up to Yugoslavia. His signing completes Boston roster at 12.

``Ruben's been in the NBA before, so he has some experience,'' Celtics general manager Chris Wallace said. ``He's very strong and he can also go outside and shoot the 3, which is an ability coach (Jim) O'Brien likes to see.''

Both Vin Baker and Shammond Williams, acquired from Seattle, where they played with Wolkowyski, were consulted before the signing and, according to Wallace, ``gave a good report.''