Re: more pack journalism

There is a difference when you are talking about an Individual sport as opposed to a team sport. And there is a difference between sports or leagues focused mainly in the USA as opposed to the entire world. Because the marathon is an individual sport that includes runners from all around the world, it is the correct thing to do to say what country they are from. But even then, it is more about the country as opposed to the runner. If an American runner ever won, you would hear that 'John Doe from America won the race'. You wouldn't hear that 'Black American John Doe' or 'White American John Doe' won the race.

In a team sport, the race of the players should not matter. When players win awards and it is announced, you only hear their name, not their race or nationality. You don't hear 'Dominican Pedro Martinez won the Cy Young', or 'Black Shaq O'Neal won the MVP'.

From: Kestutis.Kveraga@Dartmouth.EDU (Kestutis Kveraga)
To: celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: more pack journalism
Date: 06 Sep 2002 14:35:11 EDT

--- You wrote:
Even if that premise is correct, I don't see the point in bringing it up. It is
obvious that the majority of NBA players are black nowadays. You are stating
the obvious. Most hockey players are white. But when people talk about hockey,
they don't differentiate between black and white players. They just talk about
hockey.

The racist tones to your comments were not that you said African players
dominate the game here. It's that you brought it up at all when it is such an
obvious fact.There was really no point in making the comment. Because you did,
it appears to be racist. I'm not saying that was your intent, but it is
definately the tone that I picked up on as well.
--- end of quote ---

Wow... I'll just say that this is more reflective of your personal issues than
anything else...According to your logic, the names and origins of the top
finishers in the Boston Marathon should not be uttered because, with East
Africans taking the top 4 places, and 10 out of the top 13, it would be
"racist" to mention their obvious dominance in the marathon. If we pretend
really, really hard that something doesn't exist, maybe then it will really
cease to exist. How little we have learned from the tragedies of
totalitarianism...
Kestas