Re: Chad Ford's article about the loss

Michael J. King wrote:

>  I salute the Argentineans for the win but also suggest they savor it as
> I don't see it happening on a regular basis , our best or not. >>MJKing,
Sr.

>That was a well-played game and not a fluke., sir.>>Lance

In your opinion. To this person until it happens regularly it was/is a fluke.

Hey, don't dismiss this.  Argentina played like that all tourney. We played as
we did all tourney.  We lost to a better team.

>  I don't think Ginobili was arrogant, but I believe that so many teams
> had been intimidated by the US over the last 14 years that the spell is
> broken.  That's all he said, that other teams could have "hope".  Good
> for him, that's a sportsmanlike thing to say.

Well since neither of us know what he was thinking we'll have to agree to
disagree. As I said kudos for the win but if the American team has any sand
they will regroup and not lose again. Even though our team is clearly not
the best assemblage we have fielded if coached properly will prevail in the
tourney and if afforded the honor of playing the Argentineans again IMO the
US team will achieve a  far different outcome.>>MLK

Whoa, don't spin this.  I have no idea what he was thinking, nor would I
allude to his thoughts.  Many writers have stated that the US has had a
psychological hold and that's been broken.  What Ginobili said was fine and
showed good character.  I also disagree with you in that they HAVE been
coached properly, but if they won't move, they won't move.  Now you're saying
that it's coaching, and I can't see that this failure has been on the
shoulders of George Karl at all.  He's had the same complaints about his Bucks
team, and so they traded Robinson.  He's taught guys how to play "the right
way" and gotten deep in the playoffs--many times.

>Even if you don't think these games are important, I'm sure that we'll be
>looking forward to them more seriously in the future.

  Again I said this in my post. Something about a humbling experience being
good for the soul or some such.

No idea how this statement applies.  My point was that NOW the whole idea of
the FIBA tourney will mean more to all of us in the US and we'll get better
participation by the stars, along with better fan interest.

>  Let's hope the guys play with pride and think TEAM.  Not sure what
> Karl's been seeing, but he always talks about "playing the right
> way".  I'd like him to be satisfied with the result of the slap in the
face.

Again I addressed this in my post by closing with:
Yes I want us to win and truth be told expect it but I wouldn't lose a wink
if we didn't. Sad but true. Oh well hopefully this will be a wakeup call to
play team ball instead of auditioning for ESPN's Plays of the Day.

I read your response as that you really didn't care much either way, but you
still think the US will win.  I agree with you that it would be nice to see
better basketball, but folks like us who take the time to follow the team seem
consistently to appreciate the fine pass for a layup rather than the 3pt shot
or dunk.  We're not so far apart here, Mike.  I think that losing the whole
match would really serve to wake up the US players and respect the other NBA
foreign guys more, but just this loss is a good thing for those of us who
appreciate it as a team sport.  That's a bit of what George Karl was saying
about the loss.