RE: more pack journalism

 -----Original Message-----
From: Lance Jacobson [mailto:lancejacob@attbi.com]
Sent: September 05, 2002 12:46 PM
To: Wright, Cecil; celtics@igtc.com
Subject: Re: more pack journalism

 I also think it is unfair to throw stones at these guys who only have a
short time to mesh as a team when other countries have their guys playing
together much longer. >>Cecil

Cecil, it's TRUE that they've had less time to prepare
than the opposition.  It's also true that our entire team is black.  So
what?  We're supposed to be better, were highly favored and that's who came
into the tourney.

* Raef LaFrentz will be excited to hear about his true ethnicity
undoubtedly.

Tell you what:  I'll take our talent plus some real desire against
Argentina's talent and their intensity.  Same with all the other teams.
Just like in the NBA, when the Celts lose to Chicago they are quick to say
that if they don't come ready to play, any team can beat them.  I'm sure
it's said in most NBA cities after losses to the cellar-dwellers.

Let's get serious here.  Sure, if our guys practiced fundamentals, sent our
best players AND gave full effort we'd win.  I'm saying that we only need to
do ONE of those things with the talent we have.  Right now, the only thing
our squad can do is try harder, and I think that's what we'll see.  And I
think that we'll win the rest of the games . . .with these guys.

* As I said earlier, I think the effort was there.  Surely you cannot say
that A. Miller did not give a good effort.  They were clearly upset at what
was unfolding.  Sometimes you play a stinkeroo and that is what happened for
the U.S. last night against a team who played better.  But I think you
downplay the importance of precision, setting screens, picking the defender
off, knowing your teammates tendencies when jumping out on a defensive
switch, timing of backdoor cuts, etc.  It takes several months of practice
for NBA teams to master it.

Cecil