RE: more pack journalism

If I were the owner of the Lakers, I'd fine Shaq for not getting the surgery done last June, when he could easily have recovered by the start of training camp, if not the FIBA tournament. His toe is a big pain in the butt. Shaq has no excuse. That toe has supposedly been bothering him since the middle of last season, and he holds off surgery until September?? Feh.

Yes, having a family IS important. But it's not like anyone held a gun to these guys heads and said, "Do you wanna play pro ball for millions a year?" I lost track of how many times my personal plans were shot to hell for months on end because my job required extensive overtime.

As far as injuries go, if everyone's so blasted concerned, why don't they shorten the exhibition season? Why not cancel the end of the NBA season once the playoffs are decided--or has everyone forgot that Vitaly Potapenko was injured in a meaningless game just before the playoffs? That's not the first time that sort of thing has happened.

On an international scale, this tournament is considered to be more important than the Olympics. The US feels strongly enough about it that when our college players were no longer sufficient to beat the stuffing out of other teams every 4 years, we were all in favor of letting the pros play. Enter the Dream Team. As a by-product, they play the FIBA tournament too.

This is not kid stuff. This is the World Basketball Championchips. The other countries send their very best year after year, and we treat it like an exhibition game. With an attitude like that, it's no wonder people are ambiguous about watching, never mind playing. When the day comes that the NBA players who show up get trounced, there'll suddenly be all kinds of pressure to "send our best". Paul Pierce wasn't even one of their first picks, and he's their leading scorer, playing with fire and passion every night. If Ray Allen, Shaquille O'Neal, and the rest of the lazy bums couldn't be bothered to represent their country, then as far as I'm concerned, the players who showed up ARE our best.

Nash? Ummm...what, Cuban doesn't pay him enough money that he couldn't buy his own damn policy for two weeks?? Bleah.

P.S.--to New Zealand--great game, guys, have a cold lager on me.

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle