RE: Questions That Weren't Allowed On Antoine's Chat

Hey Joe,

Well, you know I don't live in Boston and haven't spent much time there, but
I'm well aware of the racial climate. I have no doubt that there were many
anti-Toine folks who were influenced at least a little by racism, even if
they weren't aware of it. By the way, I've been sensitive in the past to
some of the points you've made about race because they came across a little
too simplistic-"people don't like Antoine because he's black; people like
Herren because he's white"-and were based on your opinions of the general
Boston fan and a their reputation (sometimes earned) of racist behavior.
Again, I'm not from Boston, haven't spent much time there, so assigning the
same rationale to me as you would a Bostonian rubbed me the wrong
way-especially when I saw plenty of reasons, in Antoine's case, to criticize
him. Of course, when I started watching NBA basketball in the early 80s,
only three teams were on TV-the Celtics, Lakers and 76ers. Those were my
choices. I'm sure one of the reasons I fell for the Celtics is because their
best player, Larry Bird, looked like me (not that I have wavy blonde hair, a
big nose and pasty white skin-my hair's brown). I think I had a point in
there somewhere, but I've lost it.

I think it's this: No one is blind to race, and there's no question Boston
has loved its white stars. But they loved Bill Russell, Sam Jones, Robert
Parish, Reggie Lewis and Paul Pierce, too. Boston fans love hard-working,
lunch-pail, blue-collar players. That is their identity. For most of his
career, Antoine was anything but. He was the guy who always came in out of
shape, did the wiggle after he made a shot even when the team was losing by
20 points, checked the stat sheet after games and declared himself a
"veteran all-star" after one all-star season. He drew the majority of the
fans' ire because he was the "star" of the team. Fact is, when a team is
losing, the star will catch the heat. I give Antoine credit for sticking it
out, but that's like giving an athlete credit for never being arrested.
Antoine got a max contract before he had earned it and was given the keys to
the franchise by his coach. He had everything handed to him and early on he
didn't handle it all very well. Maybe that's part of the learning process.
But there were just as many good things given to Antoine in those years as
bad things (boos, etc.).

In truth, I spent enough time in Cincinnati to understand a little about
Boston. Cincinnati has a racist label as well, and a lot of it is tied to
the way they respond to different sports figures. Pete Rose is the most
popular player in the history of Cincinnati sports. He is a despicable
person. But he played the game the way Cincinnati loves to see it
played-hard, and to win. It didn't have anything to do with race. The same
fans love Joe Morgan and Tony Perez, too. (Pete has a special place in their
hearts, though, because he was born and raised in Cincy.) In the late 80s
and early 90s, the fans loved Chris Sabo. He wasn't the most talented player
on those teams-far from it. But he played hard, hustled and played hurt. The
same fans turned on Eric Davis-a far more talented player-because he
frequently took himself out of games for minor aches and pains. Were there
some race issues involved? I'm sure for some people. But for most of them,
it was about the way the two players played the game. Those same Cincinnati
fans adore Jose Rijo to this day-he had about a thousand elbow surgeries and
still battled back to pitch again. Is racism a factor in Cincinnati? Yes. Is
it a factor in Boston? Sure. But it's always buy into those stereotypes
about a city. Of course, I'm sure some will insist I'm naove. Maybe I am.

Back to Antoine... As for the stats last season compared to before... We can
crunch stats all we want, but Joe you know as well as I do that Antoine was
a different player as last year progressed. You watched the games. He was
making winning plays. Before, he wasn't always doing that. He'll always
shoot a low percentage because he has terrible shot selection and doesn't
really know how to finish around the rim, but his focus and execution
changed last year.

Oh well, this was too long. One point you make that I agree with is
Antoine's leadership. I agree that Antoine assumed some leadership in
turning the team around last season, but I felt like it didn't really happen
until he saw some real success. Antoine had been losing for so long, I think
he needed to be convinced. Once he saw the chance to win, he grabbed the
reins and led the way. No question, he's the team's leader.

Sorry again for the length.

Mark