Re:George McCloud

McCloud's kind of a late bloomer who didn't crack double
figures until his 6th NBA season (18.9 ppg for Dallas in
1996) after being a lotto type pick I believe. He looked
like a washout, but he ended up with a long NBA shelf
life.

Memorably, he also beat up Ron Mercer in the Denver
locker room a few years back. He lists his favorite movie
as Pacino's "Scarface". NBA.COM also notes that he owns a
kennel and raises dogs. He has a degree in criminology
from FSU, and his nickname growing up was "G-man"
(although I prefer "get off of" McCloud).

He's averaged as high as 3.7 assists in just 26.4
minutes, and that was recently (2000-01).

I guess you could plug him in there as an Antoine backup.
I doubt that will happen, personally. But the Celtics
have only 7 guys in their rotation until Kedrick Brown
returns.

The 8th guy is McCarty.

Sundov faded badly in the last few exhibition games. I
think at most, he'll get Walker's backup minutes (8-10
tops). But those minutes might go to Baker or Battie, so
that each guy can get 28-30 minutes apiece at center-
forward.

As for McCarty, for better or worse he's one of the keys
in the early season backing up the 2 & 3.

There's probably 28-30 minutes there behind EW and
Pierce. Delk might get a few minutes backing up Pierce.
And Eric Williams might see his minutes go up into the
30s, to lesson the burden on Walter.

Once Kedrick comes back, I hope he gets Rodney Rogers
type minutes ahead of Walter and that he gets back within
the flow quickly, hitting some threes and playing
aggressively on defense and the boards.

Until then, we are thin. Not that he's a savior or
anything, but Kedrick's likely to miss 12 or 13 games
minimum in November including some very tough matchups in
the middle of the month.

So Walter has to come through for us in November.
Shammond can't regress, given his opportunities here. Vin
Baker has to be a productive 6th man almost immediately.
That's your 8-man roster. Nothing to write home about,
obviously.

I think people may tend to judge team quality by team
depth (Hornets, Indy and Portland come to mind).

What matters more is the chemistry, talent and cohesion
of the starting five. I think the Celtics coach loves how
his starters perform as a unit. They know how to beat
teams, and the I hope he's right.

Joe H.

***

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.