Rebounding

FWIW, my view ("hope" is more like it) is that both our
captains and some of the veterans seen to be holding back
on jumping. I haven't seen our guys leave their feet much
in the preseason.

Walker and Pierce combined are probably good again for
17+ boards like last year. The salient thing is that both
guys have tended to be plus rebounders at their
positions. I haven't looked at the stats, but I think
part of the reason for the pre-season rebounding deficit
has been the captains.

At PG, we all know Kenny held his own exceptionally well
and the new guys have to do that too. Delk can probably
rebound okay, but I'm not sure Shammond has 20% of the
knack that Kenny had. Kenny was like a magnet to loose
caroms.

In my view, Eric Williams will always be a tremendously
weak link on the rebounding stat sheets at G/F.

But Kedrick Brown might help make up some of the
rebounding deficit at that position this season, when he
comes back in as Eric's backup. McCarty is less
dependable or predictable as a rebounder, especially in
recent years.

At center, Battie and Baker have got to up it to at least
14 or 15 boards combined. In the past, that's what we've
gotten from Pot-Baker-Blount.

Like I said, Kedrick is the only guy I've seen really
leave his feet to go after a rebound in the pre-season.

Since I have tendinitis in both knees while playing in a
YMCA league, I know why an older guy might want to leave
the jumping for the real games and just work on other
things in the preseason. There's nothing like jumping.
Its murder. Almost any other movement is surprisingly
manageable.

In any case, I think all the Celts will be better and
more focused once the season starts.

Let's admit there's no way we'll continue allowing 48+
boards per game. Even 15-win teams don't do that.

And I doubt any team in history has been outrebounded by
9 per game in a regular season, like the Celtics so far
this pre-season (according to that Globe or Herald
story). The Celtics will get outrebounded for sure this
year, but it will be more like 1 per game or so.

Remember, Battie averaged almost a double-double in the
Nets playoff series. And Baker, whether he's been fat or
not, is at 8.2 boards per game for his career.

All in all, we're still playing reasonably well for a
team that's getting absolutely obliterated on the boards
this pre-season.

Call me an extreme optimist, but to me that's practically
a positive sign. The deficit can't continue quite at this
pathetic level once the real games begin.

Joe H.

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?