Re: Vin Baker observations

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, sappell wrote:

> he doesn't seem to
> have the fire in his belly to mix it up, take a charge,
> or go for the rebound in traffic.

Good point about Baker avoiding contact.  Even Sundov bangs and takes hits
on defense alot more than him (Bruno's kind of physical for a Euro.  Tyson
Chandler got frustrated and tried to pick a fight with him).

More importantly Vin's main offensive problem so far is he's an old dog,
and Obrien is trying to teach new tricks.  The 3 plays so far are

- Have him catch the ball at the top of the key.  Then try to drive and
score/dish (That's not his style, it's Antoine's ...although he's made
some suprising passes).
- Have Baker pass off and then fight for his own post position.
- Or leaving Vin out there to create some offensive rebound
offense(That's not his strength either it's Tony's).

Obrien should instead put in some back picks, to help Baker get deep
position and pound the ball in!  Come to think of it, none of his/Pitino's
former teams ever had a post option(except Ewing), so I don't know how
long before he'll make the adjustment.

But like Walker said, it'll be different when Vin is working with
him for a while rather than the second unit.

P.S.
Antoine's the man (talks x's/o's as well as Pitino/Obrien when I hear him
interviewed, has heart, and is loyal ...even to the Boston fans).