Mike Fine on JR Bremer

JR Bremer sounds like a viable Strickland replacement if
he continues to master the game. Hopefully he'll have a
successful career wearing the Boston Celtics uniform,
like a Don Chaney. What an ugly shot, but who cares.

p.s. tonight is a good challenge for our point guards
(among many other things). I just realized I can't view
the game, so I hope people will contribute game reports
to the list.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/display/inn_sports/sports0
2.txt

Bremer makes Celtics roster: O'Brien high on rookie's
defense

By MIKE FINE
The Patriot Ledger

WALTHAM - If you know the Boston Celtics this season, you
know it's all about points, which is one reason Ernest
Bremer - you can call him J.R. - finds himself with a
job.

Bremer can score, and more importanty to coach Jim
O'Brien, the youngster can hit the 3-pointer with a
facility that belies his tender age. At St. Bonaventure
University last season, the 6-2, 185-pound senior guard
averaged 24.6 points per game - fourth best in the nation
among Division 1 schools - while connecting on 88 3-
pointers.

Yet, if you think that's the only reason he's earned
himself his first professional job, well, think again.

"I was really impressed with his defense during the
summer," said O'Brien, who watched the Cleveland native
average 9.0 points and 3.5 assists at the Shaw's Summer
League. He has what I would call great defensive feet,
and he stays in his stance. He keeps his feet wide. He
can move really well. He contains the basketball
excellently, and that's one of the reasons, probably more
than scoring, that he's here - his defensive abilities.
It doesn't surprise me at all.''

It's the reason the Celtics waived Omar Cook, who was
thought to have the inside track as a Celts 12th man this
season.

Despite his scoring proficiency in the Atlantic-10 last
season, Bremer met the same fate as the three players
above him on the Div. 1 scoring list (Jason Conley of
VMI, Henry Domercant of Eastern Illinois and Mire Chatman
of Texas-Pan American). He went undrafted. Unlike the
other three, however, he found an NBA job, receiving a
two-year rookie minimum contract.

In the Chicago (pre-draft) camp he was very tenacious,
a tremendous athlete,'' said Celts general manager Chris
Wallace, who liked the fact that Bremer was from an
athletic family. One of the problems he had was that he
played for two coaching staffs at St. Bonaventure, first
for current Rhode Island coach Jim Barons, and then for
current coach Jan van Breda Kolff.

Both staffs were very, very high on him and
complimentary not just on his abilities but his
character, as well.''

Bremer came to the Celts as something of a slow
developer. He ended up at the New York campus because he
wasn't exactly a high school superstar, and he went
undrafted because he developed gradually in college,
averaging 9.5 points in his first two seasons, 16.6 in
his third and then 24.6 as a senior.

My first two years in high school (Cleveland Heights) I
was like a role player, so I really didn't have the big
numbers,'' he said, and my senior year I signed (with
the Bonnies) early because teams weren't pursuing me. I
had a really big year afterwards, and teams started
pursuing me, but I already signed with St. Bonaventure.
It was similar to my college career when I was OK and
then I blew up my last year.''

Blew up,'' as in scored bucketfuls of points, including
33 against UConn. People stood up and took notice, yet
only true fans and perceptive coaches got wind of his
defensive talents.

I think that's a little trademark of me,'' he said. I
take pride in playing as hard and aggressive D' as I
can.''

O'Brien likes to dispel the notion that Bremer was signed
merely to an apprenticeship position. Stressing defense
and looking for scoring, he thinks Bremer will fit right
in and get playing time, even though he's technically
behind Tony Delk and Shammond Williams on the depth
charts.

I think J.R. is one of the best defensive players we
have, and I think if he continues to be, I don't think
there's anything from an apprenticeship standpoint
involved,'' the coach said. If he earns playing time
he'll get playing time.''

He was the fourth leading scorer in the country,''
Wallace said, and we saw him in the postseason camps
and sort of envisioned him as maybe a young and up-and-
coming Erick Strickland type. At that time we knew we
could be in trouble re-signing Erick. So after the draft
we intensified our recruiting efforts to try to get him
in so the coaches could see him. They were attracted to
him, and we pulled the trigger.''

He drew interest from 15 teams during the summer, and
attended camps of Memphis and Minnesota. He was about to
leave Boston for Toronto when he got the news that the
Celtics wanted him. A thoroughly hectic summer had ended
successfully.

This is best suited for me,'' Bremer said. Coach
likes guys who can hit the open 3 and defend, and I'm
good for those.''

And what shooter wouldn't want to play for a coach who
bases his offenses on 3-pointers? I love shooting 3s,''
Bremer said, and getting a coach who gets mad at you if
you don't shoot open 3s, you can't ask more than that.''

O'Brien said yesterday that he's not happy with his
team's progress, he is happy with its intensity and work
ethic, and he wishes the season could start now. If the
ball was going up tonight, they would compete,'' he said,
adding that he knows his players don't need any reminders
about competing hard. I would just say you can talk to
the New England Patriots about needing reminding. We went
to the Eastern Conference Finals last year. They went to
the championship. Every team wants to kick our butts. OK.
They'll see it in the eyes of the opponents the whole
time. You've got to flat-out get after it. This year has
nothing to do with last year. This is a whole different
basketball team that has to prove itself from day one
because nobody cares what happened last year. Nobody.''

The Celts yesterday waived the first of their four
training camp bodies-without-hope, Frantz Pierre-Louis,
who returned to Italy to play in Sicily. Neither he nor
Bryon Mouton, Jay Locklier or Tommy Adams had a shot at
making the team, but each recent college grad (Pierre-
Louis graduated from Wagner in '99) understood that he
was here for the experience. The other three must be
waived by Thursday for the Celtics to avoid salary
liability. We're not really interested in bringing any
more salary in,'' Wallace said ...

The Celts will start the season, presumably, with 11
healthy bodies. Kedrick Brown is still recovering from an
ankle sprain ... The Celts host the Mavericks tomorrow
night in exhibition game No. 7, this time at the
FleetCenter. Players will greet fans at the gates between
6 and 6:15 p.m. ... The Celtics have no more road games
until Oct. 31, a time span that includes tomorrow,
Friday's Fleet game with Washington, and next Wednesday's
regular-season opener with Chicago. On Halloween night
they'll be at Washington. This is their longest span at
home for the rest of the season.

Mike Fine may be reached at mikefine@ledger.com.

Copyright 2002 The Patriot Ledger
Transmitted Tuesday, October 22, 2002