Boston Globe - Martins, Shaughnessy

    < Even though TONY DELK will be the starting point guard,
    O'Brien said he's not trying to turn him into a pure playmaker.
    ``We're not trying to do that at all,'' said O'Brien. ``We want him
    to be a scorer. We don't want him to be a traditional point
    guard. We have Antoine Walker ... > - Martins

    < And now we're supposed to believe they never planned on
    having him (BAKER) start?  ''That's correct,'' said coach Jim
    O'Brien. ''We had a meeting with him at the time of the trade
    and I told him our starting frontcourt was set, and he was
    fine with that.'' >  - Shaughnessy

Ordinarily ObBrien is insanely stubborn, but he has lucid moments when
he is only stupid.

    <''Thank God he didn't come in fat,'' said Papile.> - Shaughnessy

In hollow murmurs died away, you done good, Leo.  Make sure the above
quote is on your resume as you begin applying for your next job.

    < Walker, who averaged 5.2 assists per game last season, said
    he'd like to increase that stat this year. ``I'm going to try to be
    as aggressive as possible,'' he said. ``But I'm trying to stay away
    from it in the preseason. I don't want to show everything. We
    have to let our (new) guys learn the (point guard) position. I'm
    on the court 40-to-42 minutes a game. So I'm going to get
    15-to-20 shots just being out there. So I'm not worried about
    that.'' > - Martins

Donbt worry be happy, Toine.  I was wondering why you had so few
assists (and points) in these preseason games. Now I realize you have
nobly been dogging it on assists (even against NJ) for a higher
purpose - to train/coach/allow our new guys to be pass-first point
guards.  Doesnbt sound like you and Obie are on the same page.  But
maybe you are.  For as you say, you will get your 15 to 20 shots pg
(20.3?) even if our favorite Celtic beagle or Anne C. are recruited
to play la pointe.

Eggy
Baker not cooked: Player, coach OK with lukewarm start
Celtics Notebook/by Gus Martins
Wednesday, October 23, 2002

Vin Baker's ponderous preseason start with the Celtics might have
the 6-foot-11 newcomer thinking a bit anxiously about his
performance.

However, C's coach Jim O'Brien seems thoroughly at ease.

Baker, who was acquired in July for Kenny Anderson, Vitaly
Potapenko and Joe Forte, said he has had some difficulties learning the
C's defenses, but thinks things are getting better every day.

``It's a very complex team,'' he said. ``There are a lot of difficult
defensive schemes, ones I haven't seen in my 10 years in this league.
So it's been very difficult learning them. But I'm getting them down.
I'm studying them at night. It's going to click on any day.''

Baker has averaged 4.7 points, 4.2 rebounds and 25 minutes in six
games off the bench. O'Brien said Baker's numbers are much like his
preseason production last  year in Seattle. For perspective, O'Brien
said he wasn't happy with the production of either Battie or Potapenko
last year in preseason.

``I don't know if (Baker's) struggling as much as (any other) nine-year
veteran in a new situation,'' O'Brien said. ``I went back and looked at
Vin's statistics through six games last year and they mirror exactly
what they are now.

``Then he went on to average 14.5 points and seven-plus rebounds,'' he
added. ``So I think you can overdo what kind of season he's going to have
based on six exhibition games. I'd love to have 14-plus points and
seven-plus rebounds from Vin Baker. I'd love to have that. I think that
would be a tremendous addition to our ballclub. So, yes, I think he has
plenty of good basketball, perhaps great basketball,  ahead of him.''

Delk knows the score
Even though Tony Delk will be the starting point guard, O'Brien said
he's not trying to turn him into a pure playmaker.

``We're not trying to do that at all,'' said O'Brien. ``We want him to be
a scorer. We don't  want him to be a traditional point guard. We have
Antoine Walker, who plays a lot of minutes and who handles the
basketball up there, and because of Antoine, not because of any
deficiencies we have in our point guards, we try to use Antoine as
much as possible out there.''

O'Brien said Delk has had three assists for every turnover this
preseason and he likes that. But the coach said he wants Delk shooting
a high percentage of 3-pointers this season.

Walker lends helping hand
Walker, who averaged 5.2 assists per game last season, said he'd like
to increase that stat this year.

``I'm going to try to be as aggressive as possible,'' he said. ``But I'm
trying to stay away from it in the preseason. I don't want to show
everything. We have to let our (new) guys learn the (point guard) position.
I'm on the court 40-to-42 minutes a game.  So I'm going to get 15-to-20
shots just being out there. So I'm not worried about that.''

When will Baker heat things up?

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist, 10/23/2002

We want to think that the Vin Baker trade was a good trade. We want
to think he'll be the All-Star forward who torched the Celtics for all
those years and twice averaged more than 20 points a game in the NBA.
We want him to succeed now that he's playing for the Green, near his
Connecticut home.

But we worry that he's going to be Tony Clark in black high-tops.

The Celtics are home tonight against the Dallas Mavericks. They're home
again Friday against the Washington Wizards. These are the last two
exhibition games and the only two that'll be played at the New Garden.
For many Celtic season ticket-holders, this will be their first look at
Baker, who was acquired in a blockbuster offseason deal that sent
starting point guard Kenny Anderson to Seattle.

The early line on Baker is not good, and the excuses have been flying.
He's learning the system. They aren't calling any plays for him. Not
enough touches. He hurt his ankle and his pinkie. These are only
exhibition games. He's allergic to Red's cigar. Thomas Hamilton ate
his homework.

How else to explain the sorry stat line that shows Baker averaging
4.7 points and 4.2 rebounds in 19.7 minutes per game? He also has
been fouling at a Kite-like rate - a whopping 30 personals in six
games. He has more fouls than points (30-28).

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace has to be a tad nervous about
this one. We don't have Rick Pitino to kick around anymore, and this
deal hangs around the neck of Wallace. So far, Chris sounds like Lou
Gorman trying to explain Jack Clark or Bill Parcells defending
Marion Butts.

''It was a bold trade,'' Wallace said after practice yesterday. ''If
you don't like it, come and blame me.''

''He played well in the playoffs against San Antonio last year,'' added
personnel director Leo Papile. ''It's virtually impossible for a guy to
disappear between May and October. To say he's done is premature.
He didn't age in dog years over the summer.''

The Celtic brass is well-prepared to defend Baker. They like to point
out that he came to camp in better shape than he did in recent years
with Seattle.

''Thank God he didn't come in fat,'' said Papile. ''Remember, he's a
rotation guy, not a savior.''

Baker will not be in the starting lineup when the season opens. This
strikes some as curious. He's a four-time All-Star, makes $12.375
million this year (part of a four-year commitment of $56 million),
and the Celtics traded their starting point guard to get him. And now
we're supposed to believe they never planned on having him start?

''That's correct,'' said coach Jim O'Brien. ''We had a meeting with him
at the time of the trade and I told him our starting frontcourt was
set, and he was fine with that.''

''I'm not disappointed at all,'' said Baker. ''I'll support my
teammates when I'm on the bench.''

Baker said he might be trying too hard. Asked about the foul binge, he
answered, ''I think it's from pressing. I'm anxious, trying to do too
much too fast. I've just got to relax and play. Being back home and
all, it's anxiousness. I got to tone it down.

''It's coming along slower than I thought. I've been a little out of
synch early, but each and every day I feel much better. I'm the oldest
guy on the team [31 next month] and I guess I am a slow starter. It's
a lot of learning. I feel like a rookie on the club. There's a lot of
very difficult schemes, and it's been difficult learning, but I'm
getting them down.''

Baker is 6 feet 11 inches and can play power forward or center. At his
best, he's a beast on the offensive glass, but thus far he has been
overextending himself in the paint and picking up fouls instead of
rebounds. He has appeared slow and tentative. He is not yet the player
the Celtics thought they were getting. He is not even close to what
they lost in Rodney Rogers. Not yet.

But the Celtics are being patient. O'Brien said he checked Baker's
preseason stats from recent years, and these slow starts are typical.

In fairness, it is early. This is preseason. None of this will even be
remembered if Baker returns to his old form. But here in New England we
are cynical and we worry. Was the Baker deal Thanksdad Gaston's final
act of flipping off the Celtic fandom?

Wallace says no. He is standing by the big man.

''I don't get carried away in preseason,'' said the GM. ''He's had his
moments. He provides us with a scoring option we've not had before. He
can get the ball in the paint and score.

''I don't believe he's done.''