Globe article / Personal comments

A few quick observations -

STARTERS - Last night Obie played our starters 157 minutes.
Byron Scott played his starters 108 minutes.

WOLKO - He looked great. Give this guy some more minutes.

SUNDOV and SWILLIAMS - Their excellent outside shooting seems to
fulfill the Wallace/Obie criteria.  Yet scrappy SWill is not a point
guard and his height will remain a constant liability.  Meanwhile,
Sundov appears to be a SF in a 7 ft. 2 inch body.  He is not an NBA
center on either end of the court, and his attempt at defense is
painful to observe.

DELK - Looks much better this year as he seems to have found his shot.
Like Shammond, he is still unfortunately a SG in a PGbs body.  Yet if
we play him at SG next to SWilliams or Bremer, we will have the
shortest backcourt in the NBA.

BATTIE - Not to harp on my pro-Battie kick, but we certainly missed
his underrated lateral-movement, help defense last night.

THE CAPTAINS - Paul again looked very good last night.. 27 points,
7 assists. Each year he seems to methodically improve upon a specific
aspect of his game, so I am expecting that this year he will be upping
his assists per game.  But since our overall offense still comes off as
helter-skelter anarchy, when he and Walker stepped in at some point
and took over last night ... I could only think that no matter how many
offensive weapons we add, without a system, nothing has changed.

BAKER - All of the above pale in comparison to how Baker fares this
season in his struggle with the storm of fate.  In the last three games,
Baker has more fouls than points and rebounds combined.  His quote
from the Peter May morning column (reprinted below) is pathetically
telling.

    < There's no discouragement at all;  I'll figure it out in the next
      couple weeks. >   - Baker

Where is our coach on this one? Since the Baker trade, why has Obie
not sat awake nights gleefully strategizing how to maximize Bakerbs
skills into additional wins?  Since when are players responsible
for figuring out their own niches or roles with their teams?  Baker is
such a psychological guy that he needs direction, pampering, inclusion,
and confidence NOW.  Why is he not getting it?  I find Obiebs handling
of him so far to be cruel and unusual punishment, and condemn the
fault, not the actor of it.

Eggy
Baker's struggling to find his game
By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/18/2002

MANCHESTER, N.H. - He had been listed as doubtful but, in the end, that was
the last
impression Vin Baker left in last night's 114-106 loss to the Nets. There was
no doubt in
anyone's mind that Baker is still a long, long way from coming close to what
the Celtics
hope he might be.

Yes, it's still the exhibition season. Yes, he was bothered by a sore right
ankle last night.
Yes, he's still learning. But he suited up and told coach Jim O'Brien he was
ready to play.
O'Brien said he would play Baker a lot of minutes to get him ready. The coach
never got
that chance. Baker fouled out in 14 utterly underwhelming minutes, a stint in
which he
went without a rebound as well.

''I thought he had a tough night, however you want to look at it,'' O'Brien
said. ''Hopefully,
it was because of a banged-up ankle. I appreciate his effort and we'll see
how he does against
the Wolves and the Raptors.'' Those would be the Celtics' next two opponents.

Baker said he was still bothered by the sore ankle. He said it gave him
trouble moving side
to side. But he also said he felt he needed to play to better acclimate
himself to the new
situation.

So far, the results, to be charitable, are mixed. Again, it's still the
preseason and acclimation
and accommodation are what the exhibition season is all about. But here is
what Baker has
done in the last three games since his encouraging 11-point, 7-rebound
submission against
the Knicks.

Chicago: 18 minutes, 2 points, 5 fouls, 3 rebounds.
New Jersey: 15 minutes, 0 points, 4 fouls, 4 rebounds.
New Jersey: 14 minutes, 2 points, 6 fouls, 0 rebounds.

In other words, in the last three games, Baker has more fouls than points and
rebounds
combined. Ruben Wolkowyski had as many rebounds last night in 14 minutes as
Baker
has had in the last 47.

''There's no discouragement at all,'' Baker said. ''I'll figure it out in the
next couple weeks.

 All the experience I can get with this team is important. I have to stay on
the floor and fight
through it. It's still a learning process for me.''

He's learning how to fit in with two guys who dominate the offense. He would
love to be
the No. 3 option, preferably inside.

''We have two superstars on this team,'' he said. ''I've got to find a niche.
I want to get into
the post and do a lot of damage.''

The Nets once again showcased their depth and versatility in taking their
second decision in
three nights from the Celtics. No Net starter went more than 24 minutes as
coach Byron Scott
got big bench efforts from Brandon Armstrong (15 points) and Tamar Slay (12).
The Nets
shot 54.4 percent, had a 40-32 rebounding advantage, and led most of the
night ... O'Brien
said before the game that he would start playing his warhorses more minutes
to get them ready
for the grind ahead. He was true to his word, playing Antoine Walker 40
minutes and Paul
Pierce 36. Neither had played more than 27 in the first three games ... The
Celtics got a solid
 game off the bench from Shammond Williams, who had 14 points in 24 minutes.
Pierce led
all scorers with 27 ... Last night's game was at the Verizon Wireless Arena,
which opened
almost a year ago. It marked only the third time the building, home of the
Manchester Monarchs
minor league hockey team, has been used for basketball. The other two
occasions were for
the Harlem Globetrotters. The Monarchs moved in last year, but not before
having to play their
first 13 games on the road before the building was ready. The Manchester
Union-Leader went
through its back issues and found that the last time the Celtics played here
was in 1960, when
Bob Cousy arranged an intrasquad game at the old National Guard Armory before
the start of
the playoffs ... The Celtics' new owners, Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca,
were among
the sellout crowd of 10,523.