From: gene kirkpatrick <gk_tyler@yahoo.com>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 8:11 AM
Subject: stats comparison

> Here's what I was getting at with Pierce and Walker taking too many of the
team's shots.  Last year they took 49% of the shots; Kobe and Shaq took less
than 42% for the Lakers.  Pierce shot 44% to Kobe's 47 and Antoine 39% to
Shaq's 58.  In other words, their two big guys shoot better, shoot less, and
(with a mediocre supporting cast) win more.

> I'm not really big on stat comparison; I do think, however, that these
numbers constitute the real threat to the Celtics offense.  It appals me to
read that we "just play basketball" on offense.  That works against the weak
sisters, most of the time.  But for the big games, we need plays to get the
ball low to Vin, to get a clear three from Shammond, or an isolation for
whoever.  Relying on the superiority of our captains to beat their man, draw
the doubleteam, etc. only goes so far; and this year, I don't think it will
go to the conference finals.  We need a disciplined offense.