Re: Looking At The East

----- Original Message -----
From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
Newsgroups: alt.sports.basketball.nba.boston-celtics
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 11:33 AM
Subject: Looking At The East

> ON THE WAY UP IN A BEAUTIFUL GROOVY BALLOON:
>
> Atlanta: A healthy Ratliff, a real PG, and the Big Dog wants your
> respect.

Yeah and there are no concerns defensively for this up-and-coming squad?
Robinson and Abdur-Rahim are two of the better defenders, right Ray?  Oh, I
see...Ratliff will pick up the slack.  The real PG is a rookie, not an
all-pro.  The loss of Johnson hurts them more than you realize.  We talk of
the number of touches available for Baker may not get alongside Paul and
Toine...I wonder how happy Jason Terry will be to know that once it goes
into the Dog, he may never see it again.

> Chicago: A franchise PG, Curry spices things up, tradeable depth, a
> great
> addition in Marshall.

A franchise PG?  I thought that was what Stevie Francis is.  Let's
see...Rose,  Williams, Curry and Chandler may be formidable in 5 years or
so.  Who is the tradeable depth?  This is a team which gave up 98 ppg last
year.

> Indiana: Maturation of outstanding youth overcomes Isiah's horrid
> coaching.

Mercer and Artest.  Isn't Artest out with an injury right now?  Can Mercer
be far behind?  I'd say we are in pretty good shape when they are depending
on Mercer for maturity, wouldn't you?  Last I saw of O'Neal, he was stomping
on some foreign player at the World Championships.  Real mature fellow.

> Milwaukee: Better chemistry through living and Karl's summer's blunders
> help him stay focused this season.

"Better chemistry through living".  I won't even comment.

> New York: The East's best PF in McDyess means easy offense for Sprewell
> and Houston.

And the broken right hand and orders to stay away from the team, combined
with the grievance filed as a result is just what the doctor ordered for
this team.  I think the Duck could put up more of a fight than Carlesimo,
but when Spree comes back, who will he get into it with first, Kurt (KO)
Thomas, Allan (we have a problem) Houston, or the Dice Man?

> New Jersey: An impact defensive center, Kidd overpowers, Jefferson
> emerges,
> and a great bench.

An old aging Center who is on the verge of becoming the most recent version
of Hakeem, he who is retiring this year.  Run Kidd's ass into the ground for
the first 3 quarters, as well as Mutomobo, and see what they got left in the
tank for the 4th.

> New Orleans: It's Mardi Gras time for a healthy Mashburn, the ever
> improving
> Magloire, and a bonafide scorer in Alexander. Hmmm, could Campbell and
> Wesley be
> available for trade?  Paging Chris Wallace.....

You forgot to mention the jinx of the ex-C's: Silas, Wesley,  Moisoand
Hamilton.

> Orlando: King of the Hill makes it so, but they need to deal Miller for
> a big man.

It starts with TMac and ends with him also.  I'd like to get my hands on
Darrell Armstrong though.

> Washington: No team added more quality players in the off season.

Starting at G, Michael Jordan.  Also at G, Jerry Stackhouse.  As well at G,
Larry Hughes.  At another G, Chris Witney.  Oh yeah, and another G, Tyronn
Lue.  And our top draft pick, G, Juan Dixon.

> ON THE ROAD TO NOWHERE IN THE SLOW LANE
>
> Cleveland: Tank, Baby Tank. But they only get James, if the Fixer
> decrees it.

Who cares.

> Detroit - Sprewell's lost will be felt, as he was a dominant regular
> season player.

Yeah Ray, that broken hand of his will kill the Pistons.  Lay off the
catnip.

> Miami: Pat Riley has uttered the dreaded "R" word.

I hate not seeing Zo in this league.

> TOO CLOSE TO CALL 867-5309

But close enough to call 634-5789?

> Boston: No PG, they're due for the injury bug, the highs and lows of Vin
> Baker,
> atrocious low post defense, rebounding questionable, teams in the East
> have
> improved, but they still have Pierce, and time for a trade by the
> deadline.

Philly has improved?  If you say so.  If we suck so bad, why do you have
them winning so much on Snoopy's page?

> Philadelphia - Never underestimate the coaching genius of Larry Brown,
> but the injuries may overwhelm.

Genius wasn't able to work miracles last year.

> Toronto: Olajuwon was toast, so getting him to retire was a positive.
> That said, wither Vince Carter this season?

Replaced by Michael Bradley.  I like him but he is not the answer.  Their
biggest loss may well have been Keon Clark.

Cecil