Re: Kedrick's Ankle

--- You wrote:
Did anyone happen to notice whether Kedrick's ankle was taped for the
game?  I remember Battie suffering a severe ankle sprain against the Magic
in December 2000 and Heinsohn excoriating him for not taping -- Battie
missed a couple of months with that injury.  (I also vaguely recall Kestas
having a number of interesting things to say about that issue, but then he
usually does when medical stuff comes into play.)
--- end of quote ---

Thank you. I think I said that taping helps to physically prevent sprains for
only the first 10 min or so, according to experts. The tape loosens up too much
afterwards. Still, it may help neurally - by improving proprioception
(knowledge of your body's position), the same reason high-tops allegedly help.
As you probably know, it's the unexpected physical resistance, not the
excessive force per se, that causes most sprains - i.e., your joints and
muscles not being ready to deal with that particular situation. If you knew
that you were going to land on someone's foot, you could prepare and it would
be no problem (try it at home some time :>).

If you watched the tape of Kedrick's ankle sprain, you could see that his foot
gets clipped in midair and lands on the floor  in an unexpected position. What
concerns me is that he didn't appear to roll it - it was a back-and-forth
motion, which shouldn't cause any problem unless he snapped some tendon or
something.
I'm anxiously awaiting further news on it.
Kestas