Eric Williams

Hi list:

Here is some interesting info on EW's health this year,
excerpted from Mike Fine's article today.

http://ledger.southofboston.com/display/inn_sports/sports0
3.txt

Eric could not change directions very early last year
because of problems with his knee,'' said Celts coach Jim
O'Brien, a major Williams booster. And if you can't
change directions, it's hard to guard and hard to be an
offensive player that can catch in the low post like Eric
likes to be, to be able to step through people. He played
in considerable pain the entire regular season last year.
And he broke his finger and his pinky was on a 90 degree
angle.''

Williams underwent surgery in June - Red Sox physician
Bill Morgan fixed the finger - and was back on the court
by August.

He's pain-free, and he's shown speed,'' the coach
said. We're trying to get easier baskets on the fast
break and Walter (McCarty) and Eric are the guys that
consistently run no matter how long they've been in
there. So his speed is outstanding. His strength is
outstanding. I don't know what his body fat is, but it
can't be above four. He's just ready to play basketball.
I think he'll have his best year.

To get himself back in shape, Williams put his Newark
businesses on hold, turning over the reigns to his
brother. I wasn't worried about the real estate stuff
because I was worried about getting myself back together.
And I did a lot of stuff up here - working out, mentally
getting myself prepared and coming back here to have a
good training camp.''

He was rejuvenated. A year ago he came into training camp
after having stayed off the court all summer. He never
picked up a ball.

I was aching. Mentally I was out of it, coming from my
past three years not knowing my situation with the
ballclub. I was frustrated to the point where basketball
wasn't fun any more. I always want to play hard because
that's my nature, but as far as me just picking up the
basketball and playing, it wasn't fun. So I started
diverting to other things.''

He's in another world now. No aching back, no hamstring
problems, no knee problems. I'm just feeling good right
now and happy to be in the spot I am right now.''

***
L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?