Re: You know what's amazing?

At 01:38 PM 10/8/2002 -0700, you wrote:
Kestutis,

I think you're wrong on this one.  Shooting is very
much a talent, as any coach will tell you.
Never mind what coaches have to say on the matter, it's an empirical question that in principle could be answered by scientific studies. Lacking that evidence, consider the following:
If shooting were indeed an 'innate' talent, then you would have to agree that Europeans are 'innately' more talented shooters than American players, since most of the Euro players are good shooters, if nothing else. Why would that be? Moreover, why is it that some people are more comfortable shooting more difficult shots (3-pointers, off-balance shots) than easier shots? Do they have an 'innate' talent for a 23-foot shot, but not for a 15-foot shot? For an off-balance heave, but not a square-up-and-set-you-feet jumper? If it's all talent, why can't anyone, except for a few Euro centers, shoot the hook shot anymore, which didn't use to be the case? Is it the lack of 'hook shot talent' in today's kids? It doesn't make any sense from the computational neuroscience or genetics standpoint. If it's an innate (i.e., genetically programmed) ability to accurately launch an object of arbitrary weight towards another object an arbitrary distance away, it should be both more general and scale with the degree of difficulty. I.e., if you can do the harder movement, you should be able to do all the easier movements of the same type with more ease. But that's not the case.

There is a far more parsimonious explanation for it: it's a combination of proper shooting mechanics and practice, especially early on. Most American kids play their first 5-10 years of basketball on the street, where the emphasis, at least these days, is not on learning proper shooting technique. Thus, most of them pick up bad habits during this critical learning period, which are very hard to correct later. However, these days most do practice "crazy shots" and three-pointers a lot, so they are better at them. In European basketball, most kids learn basketball under the tutelage of a coach. Shooting skill and proper technique are emphasized from early on. Even the 7-3 guys can shoot the 3. We saw what happened to Team USA, which was critical short on shooters, at WBC, where nearly everyone on the better teams was a good shooter.

Some guys
can practice all day every day, and they will never be
good shooters.  Greg Kite, Chris Dudley, Ken Bannister
-- league history is full of dedicated gym rats who
never even became adequate shooters.  Greg Kite could
take 5000 shots a day for ten years, and never make 27
in a row.
That's where selection bias comes in. These guys were/are not athletes at all. They were recruited to play basketball because they are very tall. Thus, you're scraping the bottom of the genetic barrel insofar as general athletic skills are concerned. Being klutzes, these guys probably didn't participate in sports much when they were younger, and as a result had rudimentary basketball skills. Moreover, their job was to bang bodies, rebound, and block shots. I seriously doubt that these guys spent hours working on their J. Even if they had, I doubt they were working with a shooting coach to correct technique flaws and catch up on all the years of basketball practice they had missed as kids. Taking hundreds and even thousands of shots would just reinforce their bad habits.

Other guys, meanwhile, can shoot from
anywhere, off the wrong foot, double-clutch, you name
it -- and it goes in.  I only wish all it took was
practice to become a good shooter.
No, it takes forming good shooting habits and lots of practice early on, not when you're already in college or the NBA, plus some minimal starting conditions (you may not be capable of becoming a great shooter if you're a totally uncoordinated klutz, I'll give you that). Even so, some players were able to change their technique and become great shooters while already in the NBA, such as Jeff Hornacek.

I think you're just confusing a polished skill with talent. For example, my six-year-old is head-and-shoulders above kids almost twice his age in soccer ability. He can dribble through the entire team, score with impunity, tackle cleanly, you name it. The coach is astounded. Is he really talented? I don't think so. But he's been playing against adults and older kids every single day, sometimes for hours, since he was four. He's getting to be really good at basketball too, for the same reason. Some coach will someday marvel at his "natural" talent for basketball while it's anything but...
Kestas