Re: Wallace has a short memory

On Wednesday, October 2, 2002, at 06:31  PM, hironaka@nomade.fr wrote:

> The correct thing for management to do was to go get
> someone who would stay the heck out of the way: play
> defense, shoot without hesitation when open, and never
> fiddle and diddle extra seconds off the clock before
> giving the stars the damn ball. Spend your cap money
> someplace else.

	Joe H.
*******************
	I'm not buying it, Joe. We watched that plan last season, when Palacio
had the role. As good as Walker and Pierce are, as capable of "getting
their own shots off," they can be stopped.  A great point guard would
make it harder to stop them, by making threats out of the other players.
	Yes, with the score tied and ten seconds left, you give the ball to
your "go-to-guy," to work his man and/or, go to the hoop, to look for a
foul, but if you don't balance your offense, to keep the defense honest
and allow your star to be strong for the 4th quarter burst, the team
suffers.
	I'll also contend, that very few players are able to keep on their
toes, defensively, if they are playing flat footed on offense.
	Yes,many of  the early Celtic championships came with Sam Jones at the
point, but he/they learned movement and unselfishness from Cousy. Sure
the mid eighties Bird teams had D.J. at point, but it was "Tiny"
Archibald that taught Bird team play.
	I've heard so many times,that because of Jordan or Shaq, winning
championships without a point guard, that it may be better not to have
one. Rubbish, I say and particularly, if you don't have Jordan or Shaq,
that distributing, unselfish, leader of the offense, can come in mighty
handy. 		JB

	Unchain My Heart !