Re: Sore Heads

In a message dated 10/5/02 12:31:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Celtics-Digest-Owner@igtc.com writes:

> I have been lurking on this list for several years and I have never before
> seen it descend to this level of backbiting and personal attacks. It seems
> that electronic communication has been taken by some as license to be as
> nasty and insulting as they desire without the consequences of such behavior
> in a face-to-face situation. I'm not interested in your petty feuds and
> one-upsmanship. I just would like to hear relatively intelligent and good
> natured commentary and discussion on the Celtics. Or am I on the wrong list?
>   --- Ron Thomas

Fellow lurker here.  I've been a Celtics fan since '79, when I briefly
stationed in Mass.  I come to this list (which is my favorite.... or was
until recently) for info and opinion, and yes, for the sheer entertainment
value of it.

Who knows why some people write a veritable flood of posts, and others one or
two.... or none... a year.  Not living in New England, and only catching the
one or two games a year the Cs were on national TV, I never felt like I had
enough first hand info to contribute much to the dialogue, so I enjoyed the
insights and opinions of those who actually saw them.

FWIW, I used to really enjoy a once fine source of info, insight, and
entertainment on the old unmonitored AOL board.  The 'petty feuds and
oneupsmanship' that Ron mentioned virtually killed that board, as it turned
off poster after poster (lurkers too, for that matter).  No one logs on to
see that kind of vitriol spewed day after day. It was relentless.  And make
no mistake about it... it WILL kill a board/list if unchecked.

I hate to see a transferral of that same crap from the now dead AOL board to
here.

You guys have a real good thing going here.  Don't let cancer kill the
organism.