Lowell Sun-Shammond profile

The Lowell Sun's Shammond Williams profile is pretty
comprehensive. I pasted it below:

Interestingly, it hints that one reason he may have been
offered a scholarship from UNC is in attempt to lure his
cousin, Kevin Garnett. Prior to that, his only
scholarship offer had come from mighty North Greenville
JC. He's quite the self-made player. I look forward to
seeing how good his jump shot has become.

http://www.lowellsun.com/Stories/0,1413,105%257E4767%
257E902963,00.html

Friday, October 04, 2002 - 9:36:07 AM MST

Shammond Williams ready to prove his skeptics wrong again

By ROB BRADFORD
Sun Staff

ROB BRADFORD, Sun Staff

WALTHAM It's a safe assumption that until Shammond
Williams came to town, nobody compared the cache of Route
128 to that of North Carolina's Tobacco Road.

But if Williams said it, it must be true. It's a rule
those who know the Boston Celtics' newest No. 11 have
come to accept don't doubt Shammond.

"This is like being in college again," said the 6-foot-1
guard former University of North Carolina star moments
before working out with his new team for the first time
at the Celtics' training facility.

"Throughout my whole life I've been in position where
people thought I couldn't achieve. That's what I've done
my whole life. When I got to Carolina a lot of people
said I couldn't play at Carolina. Well, I broke records
at Carolina. I don't really get that anymore because when
people say I can't do something they end up eating their
words."

Open wide Boston Celtics fans.

"I don't think anybody had really gotten a load of the
talent level of Shammond Williams," commented Celtics
head coach Jim O'Brien.

Ever since Wiliams joined Vin Baker in coming to Boston
from Seattle in a trade involving the Celtics' starting
point guard last year, Kenny Anderson, the naysayers have
been labeling their newest floor general as an
unacceptable replacement.

In Williams' four-year NBA career, he has started just 13
of his 164 regular-season games. He did start two playoff
games for the Sonics in 2000, but even then was slighted
after being replaced despite averaging 10 points a game.

"It just kept deteriorating and deteriorating," he
recalled. "For me to excel I need to play. Now I feel
like I'm in a situation where I'll get an opportunity to
play."

Chances haven't been easy to come by for the Greenville,
S.C., native. After high school, Williams' only
scholarship offer came from North Greenville Junior
College. Fortunately, there was a post-graduate year at
Fork Union Military Academy to fall back on.

By the time his stay at Fork Union had gained momentum,
Williams was starting to open some eyes and suddenly
started to receive interest from both North Carolina and
Kentucky. Even then, however, there were doubters who
insinuated that the only reason for his sudden popularity
was because those schools were using him to get to his
much more highly-touted cousin Kevin Garnett.

Once Williams arrived in Chapel Hill the whispers
continued. One recruiting expert had listed the smallish
shooting guard as just the 18th best ACC recruit out of
20 incoming freshman. Needless to say, that report stayed
taped to his mirror for his entire first collegiate
season.

Even his coach, Dean Smith, had echoed some early
concerns about having the ball in Williams' hands. Forget
playing point guard for the Boston Celtics, it didn't
look like he was going to make it through one year in the
powder blue of UNC.

"People consider you a two guard because you can shoot
the basketball," said Williams. "But if he can't shoot,
what is he? A point guard because he can't score. I feel
confident in my skills and being a starting point guard.
But it's not what one individual wants, but what the team
needs."

But time went by and Williams' reputation changed. Not
only did he ease his way into the Tar Heels' starting
lineup by his sophomore season, but he also was sneaking
his way into another place well after practices and games
the Smith Center.

An unmatched work ethic, and healthy dose of confidence,
allowed Williams to leave UNC as the school's all-time
leader in three-pointers (233), while being named an
honorable mention All-American in his senior season.

The end result was a previously unthinkable notion:
Williams was drafted by the Chicago Bulls with the 34th
pick (one ahead of current teammate Bruno Sundov) in the
1998 draft.

"Sometimes I pass the Smith Center, I'm just driving by,
and I see his car," Williams' former UNC teammate
Adernola Okulaja told The Virginian-Pilot during the
guard's senior season. "I know he's not sleeping there,
so he must be practicing.

"He's there an hour before practice, and an hour after
practice. Then at night, he'll practice by himself for
one or two hours. We all practice hard. But it's like if
the rest of us take a test, he answers the bonus
questions."

Judging by early returns, lukewarm NBA success hasn't
changed Williams' drive to live the dream of an NBA
starter. Ever since the July 22 trade, he has been a
constant visitor to the Celtics' training center, opening
eyes with such practice sessions as the one where he made
27 straight three-pointers.

"More or less, it was time for a change for Shammond
Williams," he said. "My goal is being on a winning team
and I know to be on a winning team everybody has to play
their role, day in and day out. Whatever coach wants me
to play, I'll go out and play that part."

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?