No "D" For The Backup Centers

One of the biggest problems with O'Boring is his devaluation of the
Center and PG
positions.

CELTICS NOTEBOOK

Pair have a big problem

Sundov, Wolkowyski lacking defensively

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 10/3/2002

WALTHAM - For Argentine import (via Seattle) Ruben Wolkowyski and
Croatian import (via Indiana) Bruno Sundov, defense has been lost in
translation. But the two big men have no problem understanding offense,
particularly when it comes to making outside shots. So while Wolkowyski
and Sundov fit the Celtics' style of play and feel comfortable in a
spread offense, the pair know they need to improve on defense to earn
playing time from Jim O'Brien.

When asked for his early impressions of Wolkowyski and Sundov, O'Brien
said, ''They're really behind defensively, but they just give us so much
more of a dimension offensively. Bruno is so comfortable from the
3-point line and they're both stereotypical international big men in
that they can shoot. They have good footwork. They can put the ball on
the ground and they can pass the basketball. What that does for us is it
just spaces the court so much.''

The Celtics plan to use Sundov in much the same way they employed Rodney
Rogers at the end of last season, teaming him with Antoine Walker to
force centers away from the basket. Both Sundov and Wolkowyski were
acquired in keeping with the Celtics' plan to play more of an
international style.

''I feel good about pretty much everything, my teammates and coaching,''
said Sundov. ''The style of playing fits my game. It's very good for
both [Wolkowyski and myself]. There's a lot of up and down, lots of
shooting, lots of skill play. I'm happy I'm here. I think I made the
right decision when I came here. Nobody's perfect. Everybody has to work
on something. I will try to get better every day in training camp on
defense, so when the season comes I'm ready.''