re: Chaos Prevails During First Day Of Training Camp As Baker Injures Pinky

At 05:58 PM 10/1/02 -0700, bird wrote:
>Boy, the list has really gone downhill.
>
>Perhaps the start of the season will result in a resurgence of actual posts, as opposed to this kind of crap.

Ah well, in the interests of providing an outside distraction from the joys of auto-cannibalism as practiced among list members chewing each other up, I offer some out takes from an old book I found while cleaning off the bookshelves - "Trash Talking, Basketball's Greatest Insults" by Kevin Nelson.

For those concerned about alleged ball hog captains and such I offer:
"There is no truth to the rumor that Smith had kidney stones last season, and still didn't want to pass"
"Our motto is 'this, too, shall pass', although some of our players won't" <GM discussing a rash of injuries>

For those concerned about how Larry would relate to management, I offer The Legend discussing The Legend
"He is the only guy who goes one on one with an oxygen tank on his back" Bird after playing a pick up game with an aging Red

For those concerned about how hard it can be to bring new players into the mix:
"He's a quick learner, but he forgets quick too"
"If his IQ was any lower, we'd have to water him"

Basketball vs Baseball (or why we're Cs fans rather than Red Sox fans first)
"Basketball players do it in their underwear, baseball players do it in their pajamas"
"In basketball, turnovers are a statistical category. In baseball, turnovers are part of the pregame spread..."
"Basketball has Sleepy (Floyd), Happy (Hairston), and Doc (Rivers). Baseball has Grumpy (Barry Bonds) and Dopey (Jose Canseco).

And there are a million more. There, now don't you feel better. Hey, stop throwing those rotten tomat----