AP Story, national coverage etc.

Did you guys read the AP story on the three guards
(pasted below)? It has a few new quotes from Delk,
Shammond, Chris Wallace etc.

Also, have you noticed that the national sports press
(CNN, CBS etc.)is taking a uniformly harsh view of
Boston's chances? The CNNSI.Com preview even called
Walker "a joke of an All Star".

Fears about Walker's total game are well-grounded, but
don't be too tempted to scoff at the praise he gets
either. He'll need to have a monster year this season
passing the ball, judging from the role he has been given.

In the past two years, there have been only two forwards
you can put in Antoine's class in guard/forward Jalen
Rose (5.1 assists) and "Mr 20,10 and 5" Kevin Garnett
(5.08).

During that time, Antoine Walker has averaged 5.26
assists (852 total), leading all NBA forwards. (Stats
compiled using NBA.COM).

Even turnovers (your next question) are surprisingly
heading in the same range...Rose averaged 3.2 TOs in
Chicago, Garnett averaged 2.83 and Walker 3.1 all last
year.

As for steals over the last two seasons, Rose is 0.98,
Garnett is 1.28 and Walker is 1.61 (among the league
leaders).

That's why Antoine Walker is an All Star starter (and
Pierce may soon join him). The CNN writer isn't the first
guy to discount Walker's game, but, in this case, the
grass actually is greener in Boston. He's not only a
fierce competitor, he's never said word one in complaint
toward the press or fans.

Anyway, the stats above are my math but go do it yourself
if you doubt them. Grant Hill is another good playmaking
forward I didn't include, but he hasn't played in two
seasons.

Celtics have three point guards
Wednesday, October 2, 2002 -- (WALTHAM AP) - The Boston
Celtics opened training camp with three point guards on
the roster, and none of them will be handling the ball
much when the game is on the line.

Instead, forward Antoine Walker will continue to fill
that role.

"You're not asking them to do the traditional point guard
things," coach Jim O'Brien said Tuesday as the Celtics
opened training camp. "It's nice to have the luxury of
someone like Antoine."

The Celtics went 49-33 last season to make the playoffs
for the first time since 1995. They lost to the New
Jersey Nets in the Eastern Conference finals, giving
Boston hope that it could play for a title this season
for the first time since the days of the Big Three.

Given the chance to keep the team together over the
summer by re-signing Rodney Rogers, though, the Celtics
got spooked by the potential luxury tax and let Rogers
leave. They replaced him by trading point guards Kenny
Anderson and Joseph Forte to the Sonics along with Vitaly
Potapenko for Vin Baker and Shammond Williams, who backed
up Gary Payton at the point in Seattle.

The Celtics also have Tony Delk and rookie free agent
J.R. Bremer, fresh out of St. Bonaventure. None of the
three has ever been a starting point guard in the NBA,
but O'Brien is convinced they can do the job.

"I think our point guard situation is going to be a lot
stronger as a group," O'Brien said. "I don't anticipate
this being anything but a strength for us."

More important than chalking up a whole bunch of assists,
O'Brien wants his point guards to be able to set screens
and play defense. He also thinks his trio can push the
offense by running up the floor instead of passing.

If so, Walker can bring the ball up and hit them with the
pass, instead of the other way around.

"That makes this type of situation easier to pull off,"
general manager Chris Wallace said.

Just because the Celtics' point guard won't be handling
the ball as much doesn't mean he won't be a key part of
the offense, though. In O'Brien's system, that means
firing up 3-pointers - they took more than any other team
in the league last year - and playing defense.

"If your point guards can't shoot the ball, your offense
is in big trouble," Wallace said. "These guys may not be
pure point guards, but they can get it done in our
offense."

Williams was at first considered an afterthought in the
Baker trade, but he will compete for playing time with
Delk. Delk backed up Anderson after coming over from
Phoenix in a midseason trade last season, but he is also
more of a shooter than a ball-handler, averaging 9.5
points and less than half an assist per game.

Third on the depth chart is Bremer, who was fourth in the
nation in scoring last year at St. Bonaventure. It was
his school records of 223 career 3-pointers and 88 last
year that caught the Celtics' attention.

"Most of the point guards coming into the league now can
score," Delk said. "I think they're getting away from
thinking that point guard is only an assist guy. That's a
good thing for me."

And a good thing for the Celtics, if it works.

"My thing is to help the team win," Williams
said. "Whatever's missing at the time, that's what I need
to do."

***
L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?