> ---------- Initial message -----------
>
> Whatever..
> I don't think you should "assume" such nonsense.
>
> Gaston is a cheap bastard..
> The moment the new owners take over I guarantee will we
sign someone for a
> full roster..
>
> Pete

I definitely hope you are right about the new owners.

If they re-sign Shammond at his current salary plus both
first-round picks (or whatever we can get in a trade for
them), I'll be satisfied.

That's a ten-man nucleus, at around 57 million. Since
we're over the lux threshold already, why not spend the 5
million exception?

Gaston publicly attached his honor to "fiscal sanity" and
also seemed to infuse his working culture (post Pitino)
to a bean-counting mentality.

There's plenty of evidence that his heart was no longer
in the product he owned, which no doubt it once was. The
whole Pitino thing was probably the beginning of the end
in terms of his disillusionment. Maybe having a young
Walker as your team symbol didn't help either.

After the letdown of Pitino, I can't blame him if he
derived more of his satisfaction in the bottom line. If
you can't win enough on court, you can at least gain a
good chuckle out of high-fiving your CFO beancounter each
year you turn a bigger profit than dad.

The new owners will probably get more ego gratification
out of trying to build a on-court winner in the Mark
Cuban mode, hopefully short term financial losses be
damned (since that looks to be the reality).

Most young blow-dried owners like Wyc and Pag get into it
to build a winner and have fun, not to make a mint or
defend "fiscal sanity".

If these guys need to raise money, the same fans who
bought those stock certificates will line up again.

I'm still pretty convinced the no spending order comes
from the agreed buyers, not (just) from Gaston. Why
should Gaston care after all?

But that doesn't mean the new owners won't be willing to
spend once they are officially in control. Luck is
turning in our favor lately (the sale itself was a
godsend), so there is no reason to be pessimistic.

JH

L'e-mail gratuit pas comme les autres.
NOMADE.FR, pourquoi chercher ailleurs ?