Zone Offense/ Pierce

In order for Pierce to be effective this year, he will need to average a
minimum of five assist a game.  The zone defense allows teams to double
team Pierce on the perimeter, which removes the ball out of his hands.
Pierce becomes frustrated and forces shots.  He is so frustrated that
when he has a wide open shot, he rushes that shot.

Pierce has to penetrate and pass the ball to the perimeter players for
open shots.  Instead of going one on four to the hole.  He can created
easy shots for himself by not becoming a better passer, but becoming a
smarter passer who can make the right decisions.

Becoming a smarter will force teams to honor the jump shot of Shammond
Williams, Walker, and Delk.  If teams have to honor their shot, Pierce
will have a better selection of shots.

Furthermore, we must get some inside scoring from our post in our set
offense.  I think we have the players who can score in the post; however,
the zone defense allows teams to collapse on our one post player in the
middle.  The post players must be able to pass out of double teams in
order to be effective.

The zone has cause havoc in this once man to man league.  Just ask Utah!
Do you remember "Stockton to Malone"  You do not hear those words to
often.  We must figure out the zone to be effective.

Greg
gh18@juno.com

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com